Sign in to follow this  

plating a bike in CA

Has anyone had any problems getting plates on a bike that was plated from out of state. Of course it will have over the 7500 miles on it. I just put a deposit on NYCdrz's 01 400exc that is plated and now I'm just getting worried Probably nothing to worry about) I just wanted reassurance. Thanks all.

Just keep the whole state to state transaction as "Street Bike". No "offroad" or "dirtbike" on the paperwork.

You should be OK. A 3 or a C in the eighth position of the VIN may cause you some grief.

I would love to know what happens. I have an 04 E. I live in San Diego. My bike is registered in Nevada. When my reg expires I was going to try and register it here. If its a hassle I will keep it registered in NV.

I'll let you know. It is going to be shipped out here around the 18th. I am trying to gather as much ammo against them as I can right now just in case they give me flack I can bombard them with all this paperwork that says they have to give it to me.

There isnt any paperwork showing them that they have to give you a plate. Sorry for the negative vibes but what paperwork you talking about?

my buddy has an 02 drz and it is red stickered.. im pretty sure when its red stickered you will have trouble getting it plated.

It must have the either a epa sticker or a carb sticker stating it's legal. I think that is the biggest problem getting a bike registered here. If you have that sticker on the bike, a speedo showing more than 7500 miles, it looks like a street legal bike, any maybe a safety sticker.

I ran into a guy today in so cal who was having a local bike shop put a baja designs kit on his 2003 CRF450. We spoke a few minutes about the registration problems in Califorinastan and he told me he was going to re-register it in colorado. He said then after getting the plate in Colorado, he was coming right back to Californiastan to register it here. My one question is, even if he says he has over 7500 miles on it and it was street legal in Colorado, since the bike was originally a red sticker motorcycle according to Caiforniastan, does anyone know if he will get hassled by the dmv when he brings it back to here?. I am assuming that the "3" or the "C" in the eighth position may cause grief for him.

He will have problems, unless he was one of those with a Canadian bike. The Canadian bikes do not have either a 3 or a C in the 8th digit.

However, he will STILL need to first register it out of state, then bring it back in as a steet motorcycle, and some DMVs may still give him grief.

Ask me how I know...I just gave up and bought a DRZ400S, and now have two bikes. I also now have an 03 frame registered in the state of Vermont. Since I purchased an 02 frame so that i could at least have a green sticker bike.

-M

I would love to know what happens. I have an 04 E. I live in San Diego. My bike is registered in Nevada. When my reg expires I was going to try and register it here. If its a hassle I will keep it registered in NV.

Weeeee,

I just sent you a private message.

It would be great if you took a look.

Thanks

G

my buddy has an 02 drz and it is red stickered.. im pretty sure when its red stickered you will have trouble getting it plated.
My 02 drz WAS a red then they turned it into a green and guess what I plated it just in time. They tried to say it was red because of the VIN # but I brought a letter from Baja that stated all the rules and the clerk said OK.............. reluctantly.

Thats because it is an 02. The DMV issued Reds before the rule changed to 02 and prior getting Green. This does not apply to newer than 02 bikes.

Hope it works out for you, DMV is sometimes hit & miss.

A lot depends on the mood of the person you speak with. :)

One thing I would recommend is make an online appointment if your DMV

gets crowded. In & out in 15 - 20 mins vs an hour or more.

www.dmv.ca.gov

Weeeee,

I just sent you a private message.

It would be great if you took a look.

Thanks

G

G,

Do you have info on the "out-of-state-back-to-cali" registration? If so, could you send it to me? I am considering the same thing...

Mike

Just keep the whole state to state transaction as "Street Bike". No "offroad" or "dirtbike" on the paperwork.

You should be OK. A 3 or a C in the eighth position of the VIN may cause you some grief.

Does the 3 or C just tell them red or green sticker? I was sure my would have a 3 and a C the way things have been going, but my 8th digit is an A. :)