Sign in to follow this  

Washington residents legislative alert!

Well, the year has just barely begun and I have received a legislative action alert from the BRC. Its basically items we have covered here (TT'r are on top of things). The legislative season has barley begun. There was another section on ATV's.

We all know about the Thurston Co ORV park, the diverted NOVA funds and the diverted funds to pay it off (off roaders getting dinged twice), then the legislature has a bill to convert us to the same system as California with the red and green stickers. As you know, the red stickered bikes have a real short riding season, only early in the year and late. None during the hottest summer months. The deal with ATV's would basically not allow any riders under 12 to ride quads on public lands, and those under 16 years of age cant exceed 90cc, plus the mandatory safety course requirement. They are hitting us with everything right out of the gate. 600 feet setback from propert lines, basically forget riding on private land unless you have lots of acres. I cant remember ever getting an alert like this from BRC. As soon as the demonrats (no, not a typo)gain control, they want to run roughshod over us. :)

Sure we need to do something but what? Talk to the democratic legislature which is green politically and would rather push their personal green agenda than the agenda of the people they represent? I personally believe we are headed for the courts. And the only way we will accomplish anything is by giving our financial support to the special interest groups that believe as we do.

How can the citizens of Washington ever expect those in our government to do as we ask? We voted several times to limit vehicle registration and tab fees. Both times they were tied up in the courts and our wishes ignored. We voted to limit land taxes and so on. Again it is tied up in the courts or they simply pushed through the framework to legally raise our taxes after the law took effect. Did they really care what we wanted? The answer is no.

They temporarily patronizingly lowered our tab fees but made it clear it was not because of the law we voted for since that was tied up in the courts by them. So now look at the rising cost of tab fees, soon they will be out of control again. So now everything needs tabs from your row boat to your snow blower. Where will it end?

I'm not saying give up but I am a realist. Yes, we need to let our representatives know how we feel even if we are speaking to deaf ears. But the only way we can really get any help here is to get rid of them. VOTE THEM OUT. That may be difficult if they have anything to do with the way votes are counted but that is what needs to be done.

The problem is we cannot even agree on who to vote for. We will not support someone who is 90% for us because of one thing he did that you didn't agree with. We as a group are not very practical, in fact somewhat pathetic. Many will not choose the lesser of two evils and so they throw their votes away. We are divided. And boy does green movement love that. That is their victory. A house divided against itself cannot stand. So let us bicker and argue and remain divided and continue to lose to the green agenda.

Why fight since we are gonna loose anyway? Right? Why not give up your beloved sport and sell your vehicles while you can still get a good price for them? I'm being sarcastic now but the way some of us act that might be the best thing to do.

OK, I'm stepping down from my stump so someone else can step up.

We do need to vote many of these incompetent fools out of office. But, in the meantime, we need to bother them like there is no tomorrow. There is no tomorrow on many of these issues! Write your representative and oppose HB1455, which would require a 600 foot buffer around your property if you want to ride on it. Yes, your own private property! This was in public hearing today. While I'm unsure of the outcome, it is still worth it to voice opposition and tell everyone you know about it! Ask for replies to all emails.

I just wrote to my reps.

By the way, the companion bill to HB1455 is SB5089. If you're writing to your representatives, refer to HB1455 and senators should see SB5089. We absolutely HAVE to bombard them. This is the impetus I finally need to join the various off-road coalitions which protect our rights. The address to find your district's reps is http://www.leg.wa.gov/DistrictFinder/Default.aspx

This is what I wrote to my legislators. If you like it, feel free to copy and paste it. Just make sure to change the district number in the middle and change to SB5089 if you're writing to your senator. If you live in a bigger population center, like Seattle/Renton/Tacoma/Everett, you may also want to change the rural area part.

Representative Morrell,

I am writing to ask you to vote NO on HB1455. This bill unfairly targets users of off-road vehicles and severely impedes on their rights to use their personal equipment on their own private property. Although introduced by your colleagues representing more populated areas, the bill does not truly take into account the wishes of those in rural settings of our state, of which a good portion of your district is. As a direct attack on private property rights, I believe that much of the 25th district would disagree with the passage of the bill. To differentiate the private usage of off-road vehicles with other small engine usage such as lawn mowers, tractors, weed trimmers, power blowers, and other like equipment is a direct assault on voters such as myself who enjoy this activity. I feel that current laws in place such as noise restrictions and public nuisance codes already have this situation covered. We do not need to limit private property rights to cover such a seldomly-encountered occurence. As your constituent, I'm asking you to vote NO on HB1455. Thank you for your time.

Regards,

ONE PISSED OFF VOTER!! (your name here)

I keep threatening to run for office. Maybe I'll finally get off the pot. :)

Excellent points Old Man Time!!! Sorry to say it's also accurate.

Vintageyz said an important point about writing letters.. Don't rant and rave, that is just your opinion and gets treated as such. Make your point and ask questions!! Ask specific questions and make it clear that you are waiting for a response! Maybe ask why they feel this action is needed. Get them to explain their position on the subject. If you don't get a written response after 4 weeks, send your letter again and preface it with the information that this is a second request for a response.

Hats off to Pro Marinero for getting the letter in. But DO NOT COPY and PASTE his words in your letter. Use his as a guide if you wish, but put it in your words or it gets treated like a form letter and counts much less than a private original letter.

I KNOW this works!! I've been through it before and was amazed how effective it is if you are civil, direct and make it clear that you expect a response. :)

Not only should we take our hats off to Pro Marinero but also note that he put together a very intelligent response. I plan on using some of his ideas myself. I agree that form letters are less effective specially if they come from the off-road community. As many of us as possible need to follow Pro Marinero's example. :)

What is really interesting is the NRA is effective with their form letters because of the sheer numbers they represent. If we were united just think what we could do.

The bible has a story about mankind united in building a great tower into the heavens. What is interesting about it is God's observation of what men can accomplish if they are united.

Ge 11:6

6 The LORD said, "Behold, they are one people, and they all have the same language. And this is what they began to do, and now nothing which they purpose to do will be impossible for them. NASU

Appreciate your compliments. :p BUT... 2PLY and OMT are exactly right. I hadn't thought about the whole form letter thing. Use your own words, but let's all convey the same thought that it's the wrong bill. Legislators who read the same words over and over will just think that we're all too lazy to even take the time to write our own words, and therefore don't really care that much about the issue. I sent off my $$$ to the NMA and BRC tonight. This thing has me hot!! I grew up here in Ellensburg and then moved to California for 8 years. After dealing with the whole red/green sticker BS and a lot of other roadblocks to enjoying riding, I thought I had left it back down in there when I moved here. It seems it followed me. From first-hand experience I can say that if you give an inch they will take a mile. PLEASE take the time to write your senators/representatives so we can kill this thing. The most frustrating part of it is that legislators who represent about 15% of the area of the state seem to make the laws for 100%. :):)

I knew from previous contact with the Forest Service and from tips from people within that telephone calls meant nothing and could be easily forgotten. Post cards were "kept close to the edge of the desk near the trash can" and form letters were counted as a little more than a single letter. But personal letters that were unique were given top priority.

I noticed that when I wrote, the response would come back maybe 3 weeks later and there was an official number assigned to my letter that I could refer to when talking to anyone later. It gets filed and recorded.. Surprised me too! Same with the government.

In the recent Forest Service meetings about preparing a new forest plan for districts in Eastern Washington, we asked questions about that very fact and we were assured that a letter storm from any group in the shape of a form letter would count little. It would count as one opinion in as far as the plan would go. In other matters, it might indicate that many people are at least motivated enough to send the form letter. However, there is NOTHING that carries more weight than a carefully written respectful letter asking for answers and expressing your honest views, needs and concerns.

Unlike this or other forums, you are not going to get any flame war going by using a lot of 4-letter flame words or personal attacks... :) No one in the USFS or Government takes them personally.. That's not their job. If you rant and rave, then it's noted and filed but you get no response unless you ask for one. But you will get a more serious and honest reply if you are sincere, civil and courteous.

I encourage everyone to give it a try. You will be amazed at how it can change the way you feel about matters that before seemed hopeless. It sure made a difference in my life! One or two paragraphs... take your time... I would assume everyone that can read this has a computer.. You've got the tool needed to do the best job. Oh, and use that spell check!! :):D:p

I keep threatening to run for office. Maybe I'll finally get off the pot. :p

You have MY vote!!! :) Oh yes, and well written letter too. :)

I think we should nominate 2PKLY for Karens position! Have the ORV partk opened up next week I bet! :p

:):D BTDT.. Time for new blood... I'm preparing for the next step in another ORV project that I started 24 years ago and never finished.

:D Funny guy! I was busy writing my Reps and Senator on another web page when you posted that.. :)

I just send off an email to both Representatives and to the Senator. I did get some hints from Pro_Marinero's letter. I do want to say thanks a lot for posting as I am not very good at writing letters to the Representatives. But with your help and the advise of OMT and 2ply I was able to put together my own letter. :)

Tim

Well, did anyone else email their Reps? Looks like this one may go the way so many other fights for rights have gone... Too little too late... Enjoy what riding you have left. I'm thankful for the 30 years I've had so far.. not all without a fight though.

A BIG Thanks to those that did give it a try.. :):)

I knew you were right OMT. I was just hoping that maybe.......

..........We as a group are not very practical, in fact somewhat pathetic. ........

Why fight since we are gonna loose anyway? Right? ........

Still out there. Please write if you haven't! Funny how this thread dies but the "what number do you run?" thread in the general section gets a billion responses. :)

Ugh, this bill needs to go AWAY! Here's a note I just dropped my Senator, next I'll send it to my reps.

Mr. Senator,

I am writing to urge you to vote NO on SB 5089. This bill unfairly targets users of off-road vehicles and severely impedes on their rights to use their personal equipment on their own private property.

I believe the state already has enough laws in place to prevent nuisance noise, and to protect other's right to enjoy their property. To create a new law that pertains only to off-road vehicles is discriminatory in nature, and shows a bias against that user group.

For instance; let's say that I love landscaping. I have a beautiful yard and gardens. I spend about three afternoons/evenings a week in the spring through fall tending to my property. In doing so, I use a lawn mower, a gas powered weed trimmer, a gas powered leaf blower, and a garden tractor. These small engines create just as much noise as a properly running off-road vehicle. Why should additional restrictions be placed on a property owner because he chooses one over another?

Another example. What if my neighbor has an outdoor swimming pool and a trampoline in his back yard, and during the summer months, his children and their friends play in that yard 3-4 days per week? Maybe they like to play some music on their big stereo while they swim and jump? What if they continue on past 10 O'clock in the evening? What about when those children grow to be teenagers, and decide to throw a big party when their parents are away? If the noise from this neighbors property becomes a nuisance, is it not true that we already have laws in place to protect me?

We have no need for this new law. Passing it would only serve to unfairly limit the rights of property owners and voters in our state, and would be directly discriminating against the owners of off road vehicles. As your constituent, I am asking you to vote NO on SB5089, and let my voice be heard on any discussions on the matter.

Thank you for your time,

Jeremy Weintraub

Done. Letter sent to one Senator and two reps, took 20 minutes (cause I write slow). :)

Wow, that was quick!

Sent : Wednesday, February 23, 2005 9:42 AM

To : <jeremyw###@####.com>

Subject : RE: SB 5089

Thank you for your e-mail to Senator Oke with your concerns. I have

printed out your e-mail for him to read and consider.

Please continue to share your thoughts.

Sincerely,

Ronna Myles-Era

Legislative Assistant to Senator Oke

360-786-7650