Exhaust Baffle and Sound Restrictions

I believe MotorcycleUSA or DirtRider did a test run with the Baffle out on the 05WR450 and it came back below 96dl, so there is some validity there. Let me ask you a question; Will there be a difference in the performance of the pipe if there is the two holes that were drilled out for the rivets in the baffle? I would think that having a clean tip with no holes would be ideal.Thanks

I have noticed that some trails have a 94 dec max noise limit - if the Exhaust Baffle is removed - will it exceed this limit - making some trails off limits? I ride in the Michigan Area

What year is your bike???

If its 2005, then Yamadog's info is correct. DirtRider says the noise is below 96 db with the baffle removed. Probaly not as low as 94 db though.

If its 2004 or older, you'll need to buy an aftermarket insert. Stock baffle removed on those years is well over a 100 db

Are most of you guys removing the entire baffle or removing the insert within the baffle? I had the entire baffle out for a while, but yesterday, I removed the insert and installed back in the bike. The bike is quieter but I have not got to ride the bike yet to check seat of the pants.

FYI, It doesn't matter where in the state if Michigan you ride. ALL the trails are set for 94 Dba. And yes, when you ride with the CCC club we check because with that many riders out on a given trail ride / event you're bound to get a DNR officer that's had a bad day and wants to "check" a few bikes! ?

Indeed, it seems that Yamaha is aware that they will have some 05 WR450's left over at the end of this year. It is my understanding that in 2006 the db level in CA is going into the 80's (maybe 86db ?). That being said, the bike being equiped with the insert baffle which is held by the two rivets in the end tip is what will achieve next years db standards. For this year, 05, with the baffle removed, (not the spark arrestor) the bike runs below 96db. I have a 05 with less than 200 miles and am debating exhaust silencers, I am waiting to see the Pro-Billet, for this years stock can is not bad compared with the 04's can. Hope this helps.

New Ride:05 WR450F

Last Ride: 1977 IT400

Standards are strange. CA standards are currently 96db, measured something like 24" away at 45 degrees from the stinger.

The Federal standard is already 86 (or is it 84), but it's measured at something like 50ft away while the bike is being ridden past the test station... it's not a static test.

It could be that if CA is going to 84/86 next year, they may be moving into line with the Federal standards, which would mean that current '05s are already compliant... probably still okay with the insert removed.