Sign in to follow this  

Moab camping

I'm going to Moab this spring and would like to know of some good places to camp with a trailer, close to some good trails. If anyone can recommend a place I would appreciate it. If staying in town is the prefered method there let me know what's good. Thanks a lot. Bob

I used to spend weekends mountain biking the slick rock bike trail when I lived in Vail years back, I would always camp out on the Colorado River on the north end of town. I forget the highway, but it's no more than 10 minutes from the main drag in Moab.

As you are heading north on the main street, take a right on the highway that's just before the bridge. It's all free, to camp, and quiet. I don't know how big your camper is, but I have seen some RV's back in there.

All of the camping is between the highway and the river. Steal your showers at the Howard Johnson's hot tub at the end of the day. That's how we roughed it years back.

Dirty

Don't know anything about hook-up type campgrounds in town but there are plenty if you do a web-search. As far as primitive camping accesible with a trailer, there is plenty cuz of all the BLM land. If you want loud party atmosphere go out Sand Flats Road. If you want peace and quiet go out Kane Creek Road. Both are fairly close to town and close to riding. If it's hot head to the La Sals. If you camp along the Colorado you'll have to ride the pavement to get to most rides abd you're close to the road so you'll hear traffic. There are a lot more options than this - but just a few easy ideas.

White Wash Sand dunes/Ruby Ranch. 12 miles east of Green river. 12 miles south of interstate on dirt road. Best riding in the area. Free camping wherever you want to pull off :)

Lots of Options.

There are tons of RV parks if you want water showers and hookups

I really like is called "Spanish Trail" on the south end of town, super clean.

As far as rugged camping...

Sand Flats recreation area has the most to offer as far as being really close to trails.

The camping area Dirty Sanchez (love that handle) mentioned is along the River on the old highway (Hwy 128), no utilities but there are outhouses. You can find camping all along the river as far out as 30 miles from town. But you really are not close enough to ride to any trail heads.

On the other side of highway, you can camp on "Wall Street" it's on Potash road, be warned it is RIGHT on the road and the Potash trucks run all night.Plus it's used by the "spring break" mtn bike crowd, so it gets busy and can be loud.

If you go into town and turn west on Kane Creek Road (at the McDonalds in town) follow it back and you will see camping on the right. Much quieter.

If you want to really get out of town, go 13 miles south of Moab to the top of the hill, turn right at Behind the Rocks sign, through the gate. There is quite a bit of sites along this road.

You didn't say when you will be there. Remember Easter Jeep Safari ends on Easter Sunday. The week before that is pretty wild with all the radical Jeeps etc and lots of people. There is anything you could want! Do you primative camp? or want hook ups in town. Spanish Trails is the nicest and it is on the South edge of town. If you camp near the river you need to be TOTALLY self contained. The rangers will check. If you want primative, almost anyplace. Will your camper go down a dirt road,or jeep trail? The road that leads to Pritchat Arch has many nice camps spots. That is several miles south of town on the west side of the highway. At the top of the grade keep watching on the right you will see the road. Kane Creek has some good places as well, but you will tow over some dusty washboard road, and doesn't have easy access to town. The road to Dead Horse point has many good secluded little pull offs and canyons etc. For a first time I would try to be fairly close to town. Nice town with lots of good resteraunts, and easier to get your bearings. Hope this helps

Gentlemen, I really appreciate all of the info on Moab. This will give me a good idea as to what I am doing being a first-timer to the area.

Many thanks, Bob