Sign in to follow this  

hour meter ?

there are some who use an hour meter and i'm confused as to why. the bike comes with a mile meter on it, the book give you maitnance intervals in miles :) why use an hour meter :)

To see the length of time the engine runs. the r model has no odometer. no miles register when your not moving, but the engines running. i think the hour meters are a more accurate measure. did you know the new chevy trucks have hour meters? same reason.

According to Throttlejocky's recent poll, the obvious answer is that almost half of us ride 250R's which don't have odometers. :) But that doesn't answer why an X rider would want one.

Running time maybe be a better measure of wear on an engine than miles. Miles is pretty subjective to the type of riding. A guy in the desert will add up the miles pretty quickly when compared to a guy crawling through the woods in New England. Both are probably using the meat of their powerbands and running their engines just as hard, but the service intervals in miles will have the desert rider doing maintenance more often (or maybe the New England rider not often enough). If you measure by time, both riders should be doing maintenance at the same time.

Chris.

According to Throttlejocky's recent poll, the obvious answer is that almost half of us ride 250R's which don't have odometers. :) But that doesn't answer why an X rider would want one.

Running time maybe be a better measure of wear on an engine than miles. Miles is pretty subjective to the type of riding. A guy in the desert will add up the miles pretty quickly when compared to a guy crawling through the woods in New England. Both are probably using the meat of their powerbands and running their engines just as hard, but the service intervals in miles will have the desert rider doing maintenance more often (or maybe the New England rider not often enough). If you measure by time, both riders should be doing maintenance at the same time.

Chris.

very good point :)

the bike comes with a mile meter on it, the book give you maitnance intervals in miles :) why use an hour meter :)

Well, the meter costs money and adds weight and bling. What's not to like??

Stopwatch at 99c only? :)

I ride in the desert and i just see what time i leave and what time i get back, and i just have miles logged on my gps.. i get home and write down when i changed oil air filter and whatnot .

Sears has a seemingly waterproof, simple hour meter for ~$30 in the small engine section of the tool department. You can even check on line to see if your local Sears has it in stock.

Pete

I hate to say this but, Yamaha has a nice one made for moto. I friend has one on his 04 crf. We took a dremel and removed the Yamaha logo and velco'ed it on the frame between one the right side so you can see it between the radiator shroud hole.

I am going to get my 05 Friday and I am thinking of doing the same thing.

I think the price was 39 dollars.

I hate to say this but, Yamaha has a nice one made for moto. I friend has one on his 04 crf. We took a dremel and removed the Yamaha logo and velco'ed it on the frame between one the right side so you can see it between the radiator shroud hole.

I am going to get my 05 Friday and I am thinking of doing the same thing.

I think the price was 39 dollars.

Yamaha's hour meter is a SenDEC unit with a Yamaha logo printed on it. In fact, it's the exact same unit that Sears sells for $10 less. Doug Dubach's hour meter is also a relabelled SenDEC unit, though he chose a different model than Yamaha (he chose one of the most expensive units SenDEC makes).

Chris.