Sign in to follow this  

enduro-izing DRZ Can it be lowered?

The other day I was trying to cross a really rocky stream bed when I suddenly lost all forward motion and found that my feet cleared the ground on either side of the bike by a few inches. I had one of those really fun zero mph crashes. I'm sure a skilled rider could have blasted across the same area, and knowing what I know now I'd probably take it a bit faster next time. But while lying there with the DRZ pinning my leg I reminished about the classic enduros of my youth, especially an Ossa 250 Six Day that I NEVER got off of no matter how gnarly the going got. On that bike I wouldn't even had thought about that stream bed, just a couple of dabs and I'd be wheelying up the far bank.

So I'm wondering, is it reasonable to lower the DRZ400S? I see there are link kits to drop the rear 1.5" and the forks can be raised about that much with bar raisers. Does this mess up it's otherwise decent trail manners? I'm not a go fast guy, more like an 80 percent rider, I like to climb hills, and do pretty rough trail riding. I know! you say "get a different bike", but I like my S and I do the dual sport thing.

Kuba link and dropping the triple clamps is an option. A friend dropped hers in the front a little without any problems, but she also did the SM wheels etc. I say give it a go and let us know how it works.

Well I'm kind of short legged, but I have a big stride! I think it's 29.5 inches.

Try the gel seat as well, or cut yours down. Gel seat is expensive, but lowers the seat height an inch.

Well I'm kind of short legged, but I have a big stride! I think it's 29.5 inches.

I have 30 in inseam and kouba #1 is plenty makes my bike feel like a low rider. :)

how about suspension, did it change any with the kit, is it too soft? Also where do you get the kit? Picture maybe?

" have 30 in inseam and kouba #1 is plenty makes my bike feel like a low rider."

How does that work? Is there something else going on? The #1 lowers the seat 3/4". That doesn't sound like much. Seems like between the seat and the link you can drop 1.75". Maybe that's the critical 1.75" since it's the highest (of course).

Mr. Rockchucker, I've looked into the Furnace Creek issue enough to now agree with you (don't know what happened to the thread). I'll send in my 2C on alt 4.

" have 30 in inseam and kouba #1 is plenty makes my bike feel like a low rider."

How does that work? Is there something else going on? The #1 lowers the seat 3/4". That doesn't sound like much. Seems like between the seat and the link you can drop 1.75". Maybe that's the critical 1.75" since it's the highest (of course).

Mr. Rockchucker, I've looked into the Furnace Creek issue enough to now agree with you (don't know what happened to the thread). I'll send in my 2C on alt 4.

This is the first I have been called "Mr rockchucker" :) Thanks for the help with Furnace creek!

I did the links and gel seat but really only need the links. Like everyone else the gel seat has started to come apart and I am going back to stock or some other foam. I would try the links first and if thats not enough try cutting the foam out of the stock seat. If you lower it more than that there will be steering problems. :)

how about suspension, did it change any with the kit, is it too soft? Also where do you get the kit? Picture maybe?

I have had my suspension also worked on but not lowered just stiffer springs and valveing . But I felt the link #1 help in stablizing the ride. I ride fast alot and slow even more so I feel that I use the full range of the suspension. There is really no kit just dog bones................... http://www.koubalink.com/

I am 5'9" #1 links,f forks 3/4 down , gel seat and scotts stabilizer works for me..

now I am closer to the ground that I am going to hit anyway..

and that Kouba is GOOD people..call him

I am going to call them and I think I will try the #2 links, that way I could go with the stock seat again, I hate my gel seat, it is okay for dirt riding, as I do not sit much, but on the road where I sit for a longer time it hurts like hell and does not seem to be breaking in. i am also considering the corbin.

welll... the problem is (or could be) that the #2 is a bigger geometry change and so there is probably more negative handling issues to consider...

that is why I did only the #1 plus i use the scotts to compensate on the fast straight stuff...

Mr kouba might be helpful in making this determination..

my 2 centavos... :)

The above is right. Ask Mr. Kuba and he will get your weight and then he can figure out which link is best. He told me that if you drop rear lower that the front it handles better on the road and you loss a little on the trail.

I bought the #2 link and lowered the front 3/4 for my wife and she loves the bike now.

I am 5'3"

I just had my 2000 DRZ s, Professionally lowered 3" front and Rear from DEVOL Engineering here in enumclaw for $300. They reccomended no more than 3" of lowering. And reccomended against using any linkage lowering for a few reasons. (bottoming out, changing geometry, and suspension dynamics) I also put on a gel seat which I think is more comfortable than the stock seat, (and a million times better than a mountain bike seat) it is shaped better and gives me about 2" of additional standover. I didnt have the suspension revalved but probably will. As you would think the bike is less plush. I'm strictly woods, trail riding, logging roads and the set up is great for that.

Please excuse my newbie-ness but how did they lower it 3" without using links??

O.K. I'v got the same problem, I' m verticly chalanged and can;t spell. Anyway I went to one of these suspenshon guys. For $75o this guy revalved and lowered my bike internaly [springs and spacers]. Also lowered the frame on the forks by about half an inch or so. Totall lowering at my feet is around 2 inches.and thats flat footed. I'ts Great. In the tight trails or tight switch backs what a differance it makes. the revalving is really noticed on the woop de doos. just gluides right over the rough stuff. I'ts a lot of money but is also about my only toy. It's a 2004 400s. There are other ways to lower the bike, but I beleive[ money not counted] this is the best. HIRUM.

I have a Koubalink 2" lowered rear shock link, a TOPAR racing upper triple clamp with a higher handlebar mounting option, and a CORBIN seat, which lowers everything by quite a bit. I also have a 30" inseam, and don't feel comfortable so high off the ground. I have a Utah Sportcycle skidplate to keep the ground from biting my motor & frame too much.

Another thing: you will need to shorten the kickstand by about 2" as well, otherwise the bike will not lean over enough when parked.

Lazyracer

Redlands, CA

2005 DRZ400S Undergoing a Dirt Metamorphosis

Devol Lowered the bike the same way that Hirum said, by changing the springs and cutting the spacers, (which by the way is totally reversable). I didn't revalve the suspension and put in different springs but probably should have. With the gel seat I gained 5" of total lowering, Without links. The bike handles very well, + has a lower center of gravity. The negatives are obvious however, less clearance (so I put on a Devol skid plate) & less plush. But for woods riding its great.