Sign in to follow this  

GPS External Battery??

Does anyone out there use an external battery of any sort to power their GPS unit? If so, I would love to hear about your set-up.

My GPS12 shuts itself off under vibration using the unit's 4 AA batteries, and I didn't want to hard-wire it into my bike for fear of frying it, so I have switched to external batteries. I have one of those black plastic battery holders for 4 AA's. It seems to work well, except the damn unit only stays on for about 2 or 3 hours of riding. I think I ride so hard the GPS sucks all the power from the Duracells!

I am looking into high-mAh NiCads and NiMHs, but chargers for a 6 volt pack are not exactly common. My latest idea - and one which I could use help with - is to wire two separate 4-packs of AA's in parallel, so I get twice the run-time. Do I need to put diodes in-line with the leads, or since these are disposable alkalines, can I just run them in parallel and throw them away once they run down? If I still need to isolate them in some way, what would you recommend? Some details here would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Glenn

AMA Desert #85

Gleen,

I use the cigarette lighter adaptor to the 12 volt battery for my dual sport kit, it works great.

First thing I did was loose the 10cell Nimh pack I was using and replaced it with a 12volt 3amp gell cell battery (very compact)

then I picked up a female cigarette light adaptor from Radio Shack and wired that to the battery.

Then plug the lighter adaptor in and taped it all up and ran the wire from the lighter thing up to the bar mount,

It all fits in the YZ/WR airbox just fine,,No more shut offs and the dual sport kit charges the battery

p.s. if you do want to use the 5cell 6volt pack you're talking about look at a hobby store for a charger, the sell them for radio control models

Trail tech sells batterys for their helmet mounted HID lights. They have one that'll run two lights for 1 hour and one that'll run them for 2 hours so I'm sure they'll run a GPS for weeks. They're also lithium so the cold won't kill them. They are a bit pricey but you get what you pay for. Use a 12 volt cig adapter and modify the plug to fit the battery.

I'm not familiar with your gps but I have a GPSMap 60C and had the same problems with vibration. I use NiMh batteries. Get yourself a RAM mount (to isolate the vibration). I got mine from gpscity.com. Also rubberband your batteries together and use a touch of dilectric grease on the terminals. You should have no problems after making these changes.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Unfortunately my GPS only takes between 5 and 8 volts, so the headlight batteries won't work. I'm set on using external batteries. I'll look into the R/C car batteries. Is it safe to wire two battery packs in parallel?

On a related topic, do any of you guys have trouble with the power-plug connectors sticking too far out from the unit? My mount only has about 1/4" clearance underneath it, and the GPS connector sticks out about 1/2". This is the Garmin 4-pin round connector.

Thanks much,

Glenn

My son's bike has a Garmin Rino which uses 3 AA batteries. I soldered 3 C-cells together and used a cigarette lighter adapter cord. So far, so good as far as duration goes.

Try taping the Batteries together. One strip of electrical tape long ways on the batteries reduces the vibration.

Look at Cycoactive site and read all about battery prep, external batteries and hardwire your gps to your bike. They have got it all down. Try one of their vibration isolating mounts. I tried the ram mount but didn't really like it. I have a garmin v hard wired to my drz battery with a tourtech mount and have had zero problems.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Unfortunately my GPS only takes between 5 and 8 volts, so the headlight batteries won't work. I'm set on using external batteries. I'll look into the R/C car batteries. Is it safe to wire two battery packs in parallel?

Thanks much,

Glenn

Doesn't your GPS have a cigarette lighter cord option? If it does then there's a converter built in to step down from the 12 volts and you could use the HID battery pack. My Legend and 60C both use 2 aa's but have 12v adapter cords.