Sign in to follow this  

Used DRZ, what to look for?

Since you guys are the experts, I'm in the market for a used dirt bike and have narrowed my choices down to the following: DRZ400E, XR400, and a 250EXC(2s). Hey I'm buying used so I'm need a few options, but I think the DRZ is my first choice...

I'm hoping to find a good 2002 or 2003 model, so what do I need to look for as I look at potential DRZ? I'm new to this, so a general list of what to look for and how to inspect a used DRZ is what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

radiators conditions, leaky block, leaky shocks, break pad and the metal whell they are locking on, as far as power - when you pull the throtle hard it needs to get into a slight "screary" feeling, chain and more

The 2000S and maybe the 2001S has a different suspension than current bikes. 2002 and after all have the "good" suspension. I have a 2000S but lots of mods even in the suspension. I would look over any bike to see how hard it's been used...Stored inside? Mods done? Does it still have the ACCT or did someone have sense enough to install a MCCT from Bitech Machine?...If it was raced or jumped I'd steer clear...Some are used / cared for with care...some are not. Use your head, your eyes and ask lots of questions.

Good luck and you can't go wrong with the DR-Z in my opinion! :)

Just wanted to let you know that I went from a very nice 1998 XR400 to a 2001 DRZ400E and feel it was one of the best upgrades I have even done. I rode the XR one day and the DRZ the next and there is no way you can compare these two bike on trails or wide open spaces.

The XR was bulletproof and if that is your main concern, get one. On the other hand, if you want a versatile and much faster/powerful bike, get the DRZ.

I like to buy my bikes stock and then make changes to fit my needs because usually when a bike has a pipe and jetting and a bunch of other modifications it has usually been ridden harder.

Good luck!

I just found out so more info on the main DRZ I was look into:

2002 DRZ-400E

Enduro Raced 1-1.5 yrs

traded in mid-summer on a street bike

Compression/Valves good

no frame damage

replaced starter button (short)

tires ok

Plastic polished with "Renew Kit" and new decal kit. (explains why the bike looked new in pics)

The fact that the bike is 4hrs away from me and has been enduro raced has now got me thinking twice... The shop claims it's in great shape, but I doubt they would say it wasn't.

Thanks for all the previous advice!!!

I am thinking of gettin a drz 400 sm in place of my xtr660 yam can some one tell me what horsepower the drz is and what hp can you get with mods, the yam xt is a good engine but i think the bike is too heavy at 185kg and i like the look of the suzuki thanks

See, now THIS is the type of thread that we need to add to the FAQ. I see this question come up at least once every two weeks.

I realize this is a DRZ forum and they are good bikes (heck, I have one!) BUT: What kind of ridinf are you going to do? What conditions will you ride in?

The DRZ is a very heavy dirtbike. Drop it a few times per ride and you will tire out (unless you're in really good shape or a really good rider.) The KTM is a much, much lighter and quicker bike.

Give us some details:

Your age

Your expereince

where will you ride? single track? Dirt roads? Track?

what conditions will you ride primarily? Sand? Loam? hard pack?

There are many factors in picking the right bike for you!

Tom

How inclined are you to work on your own bike?

How much are you ready to pay?

I see most of these inquiry's are first time posters that just need some feedback to make a commitment. I agree that "To DRZ, or not to DRZ. That is the question." would make an outstanding FAQ.

Seeing that Mark is from the UK, he is going to have a totally different marketplace to choose from than us. I have no idea what availability is over there. What is that XTR like to ride? We don't get them over here. I know that I would rather have the SM than an XRL or a KLR big bore. I ride mostly city and country roads(paved). I have had to pick up my bike once and it was not fun.

If all you want is an opinion, I've got one. Get a DRZ and ride. I love mine.