Sign in to follow this  

Pit Parents!

I got on this in another thread, but decided it deserved its own space:

Have you ever seen a pit parent who was a complete jerk?

I saw a fat slob in Vegas who was yelling at his boy to ride faster. The kid was about 10 yrs old, and he was riding as hard as he knew how. The dad kept scolding him to, "JUST HIT THE DOUBLE!!!" If that kid felt he could clear that obstacle, he would have done it. He wanted to do well, but he was being scolded by an alcoholic who could barely get out of his lawn chair, let alone clear any doubles. :p It made me want to grab the dad, in front of his kid, and kick his teeth in, pull his pants down and spank him until he broke down and cried :) . It's what he deserved. Sorry, but in a sport where everyone's being so cool, a jerk really stands out. I don't have all the answers, but I do know when I see someone who's got it all wrong.

Kids are cool. :) Motocross should be allowed to remain "fun" for them. As they grow, they'll develop their own drive and aggression. Just my 2 cents...

I won't have time to be a pit parent, I'd rather ride w/ my kids - when that time comes! :)

Edit: I'll add this; there's a mom that brings her kid to the practice track I ride and she makes me ride faster! :)

That kind of pit parents are the worst :)

I have the last 5 years been working with kids, riding motocross in a club ( I have been learning them how to take care of their bike, and have taken them to tracks to go riding, often with out their parents even on the tracks, this is by far the best way to learn kids how to act on a track)

It is a joy to see a kid comming in from a race, and hear him tell how he just pushed him self to go as fast as could :p

Often it is the parents that is crazy, and the kids that is cool :)

Hey Whats Up...

I am a new "pit-parent" to my newborn son Mason Ryan :) and I would have to say that I also hate parents that are screaming at their kids to ride hard or do better. I race MX and I dont mind my parents yelling just to support me but I hate other parents yelling to yell. I will not be one of the jerk people to scream and yell to ride harder...I'll just be behind them pushing them to be faster so my son can beat "Dad" :) That will help drive him to ride faster then on race day I'll just sit back and watch him do his best and encourage him through a pit board and a good enthusiastic :p !

Josh #00

When you see a dad acting like that you simply walk over and give him a suggestion, like: Gosh, maybe you should get your fat bloated ass on a bike and show him how to clear the double...

Or, why do you think he could clear the double when you cant....

Or, shut the hell up before I brain you. You're irritating me..and I bet your kid isn't to thrilled with you either...

No need to thank me for my words of wisdom...I'm a giver :)

I have seen my share of "peewee" dads having raised a racing girl. "How could you let a girl beat you" or "you ride worse than a girl". They have even gone as far as buy the bike she rode cause it must be super fast as it had to be the bike and not the female rider.

The worst though was in '97 at the AMA amateur nationals. The title was between my daughter and a rider from the midwest and it boiled down to whoever won the final event on the Mile would win the overall championship. Both of these kids gave their all(12 years old doing over 90mph) the entire race with my daughter getting the edge at the finish line and the title(ironically the "schoolboy" class). As we went over to the other rider's pits to congratulate them, peewee dad had his kid up against the van, by the throat, with his feet a foot off the ground screaming at him. Needless to say dad was on his back with a pretty sore jaw shortly after.

On a lighter note, there was a shorttrack in Ohio that required the 50cc parents to be "confined" in a fenced in area in the infield while their kids were on track. THEN, thwe dads were required to ride the same bike in a mock race so the kids could "scream" at them! :)

I'm not a pit-parent per se, but I do ride with my 12 year old son We ride open desert. This is his first season on a bike. He rides a TTR125 so it has a clutch, 5 gears etc...

I push him, often I push him hard but its mostly to use his damn clutch :) I usualy dont yell, when I do its so he can hear me, not out of frusteration or anger. I also have a unique relationship with him in that I treat him more as a buddy then a son. I give him a rough time but its usualy in jest.

Many times I've called him a sissy or a nancy boy and told him that his 5 year old sister could woop him, but he'll usualy tell me I'm a butt face or something and try to roost me. :) Damn kids.

FFracing79,

Geez, your story has mine beat by a short-track mile! What a sad site to see that dad choking his kid because he raced his heart out and won a close second place. That kid won't ride when he's old enough to make his own call. Just hide and watch... Sad.

You must be proud of your girl. Sounds like she has heart!

I guess any parent who takes their kid to ride a dirt bike is doing something special. I just hate to see people try to incorporate a corporate-style pressure on a child who's riding a toy for a piece of plastic. I mean, that's what it is. The most valuable thing about kids racing dirtbikes is their smile!! Just try to tell me I'm wrong on that one...By the time a kid needs to win to attract sponsors and big support for a shot at the pros, he's hit puberty and has the competitive drive of a typical young pro. When he hits that level, he's ready for some pushing, because he's decided that's what he wants.

Some people should do better with their little kids. That's all there is to it.

By the way, here's my little girl, who wants to start racing:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/iamsawman/vegasmotocross.jpg

SawDaddy, that kid is now one of the top up and coming Pros and his dad isn't allowed in the teams pit area.

Yeh, proud is the right word. Racing is what we did as a family and I think it helped alot in her growing up the way she did. There is nothing wrong with being enthusiastic about the kids racing, but it can go too far as some have described. Thanks, Tdub :)

whoevers blessed with my fatherhood, be it boy or girl will have 100% of my support in a positive action, i will not resort to strangling and negative comments. some mini-dads act like their 10 yr old kid in the 9-13 65cc class are paying the bills! its supposed to be fun. the point of riding and racing is to have fun. if i want nonsense BS pressure i'll start caring about my grades :)

st3ve,

I agree. The Alessi family comes to mind as somebody that's gotten it all wrong, in spite of any racing success.

frogman,

You're in the P.I. with a CRF? YOU DOG! Nicely done. I can't think of a better way to kick back than that. The riding, the San Miguel, the LBFMs...yeah, you've done it pretty well. I would say "enjoy it", but I know you already are. That's giving me all kinds of ideas...

I once told a guy that his son was riding really well. Heck, I couldn't pass him and he was probably only 8 or 9 year's old. The dad just gave me some retarded response and then proceeded to yell at the boy for not hitting the berm harder in a certain turn. It was just a practice day...

Honestly, I'd love to say something to these jerks, but sometimes I don't think it is worth the risk. These guys are real hot heads, and I can just see one of them doing something horrible and drastic in response. Or worse yet, I worry that they will contain their rage and take it out on the kid later.

ben

I once told a guy that his son was riding really well. Heck, I couldn't pass him and he was probably only 8 or 9 year's old. The dad just gave me some retarded response and then proceeded to yell at the boy for not hitting the berm harder in a certain turn. It was just a practice day...

Honestly, I'd love to say something to these jerks, but sometimes I don't think it is worth the risk. These guys are real hot heads, and I can just see one of them doing something horrible and drastic in response. Or worse yet, I worry that they will contain their rage and take it out on the kid later.

ben

I know what you mean. Luckily, there don't seem to be many people like that in motocross. I've met so many cool guys and families. That's one of the great things about our sport; People usually treat each other very well.

I just wonder----are there any guys out there reading this who had one of these bad "pit parents" while growing up? Lets hear your thoughts.

Might not be any takers----I always figured these kids would be turned off to riding by the time they hit 16 or 17. RR.

Ride Red,

I'll bet you're about right. I'm sure there are also those who decide riding will be what THEY want it to be, and is worth salvaging after they can dump the dork that made it suck for them as a kid.

Interesting that you titled this thread as "Pit Parents"...most think it's just the dad's that act like jerks. I'd like to say I'm a pretty level headed Pit Dad to my 11 year old. I won't ever yell at him for not doing something...that's not to say I don't get a little frustrated when he just doesn't try...but I won't belittle him.

Anyway, on Saturday night, we were racing at an indoor Arenacross race in Salt Lake City. I was running through the pit area to switch my son's 65 for his 85 for his next race. When I got the bike, near me was a chubby women yelling at her crying boy (maybe 8 years old). Apparently he didn't do well in the 50cc race in front of the big crowd. Unbelievable!!

Everyone must remember, they are children and everything you do in life they learn, and they learn it from you the parent! They are breakable !