Sign in to follow this  

TTR125 Convert to Big Wheel

I'm new to ThumperTalk, so forgive me if this has been covered before. I was not able to find an answer to this specific question.

My son has a TTR125 and loves it. But, he's getting too big. I've come across a pair of the big wheel rims. Can I lace these to the OEM drum hubs? He's not an agressive rider, so he doesn't really need the disc brake. It looks like the rear wheel is no problem. For the front I'm sure neither the OEM spokes for the small wheels or the large wheels will work (I assume the diameter of the large wheel disc brake hub is different than that of the stock drum hub). So, will it work? What length spoke would I need? Will the angles for the holes in the big wheel rims work with the width of the OEM drum brake hub? Hope that makes sense..

Thanks for any input.

pike_da

"IF" they would lace up you would have to get the longer swingarm, longer chain and different gearing and with the larger front rim the drum brake would be inadequate. Best bet is to buy a L version and sell the smaller wheeled one.

The stock L rims have a problem with the spokes never setting in so they loosen quite often. I'm waiting on a set of Blue BBR rims to arrive. I've made arraingements for a custom set of HD Spokes to be made so I don't have to use the stock ones. All this is because of the spoke problem

Thanks for the info. I have the longer chain, and rear sprocket. Wasn't aware of the longer swingarm.

I know the Blue BBR rims are in short supply, BBR doesn't even have any right now. If you haven't put any money down on them yet, I did find a place in Oregon (ProCycles - www.procycle.us) who still had them. He doesn't stock them, but his distributor still had them (wasn't BBR directly). I ordered a pair and they came in a couple of days.

DP

Thanks, I'm a BBR dealer. Can't get them from Pro Cycles for my cost. They have been on Backorder for over 2 months allready. I ordered them for Christmas and they mistakenly sent black instead.

"IF" they would lace up you would have to get the longer swingarm, longer chain and different gearing and with the larger front rim the drum brake would be inadequate. Best bet is to buy a L version and sell the smaller wheeled one.

The stock L rims have a problem with the spokes never setting in so they loosen quite often. I'm waiting on a set of Blue BBR rims to arrive. I've made arraingements for a custom set of HD Spokes to be made so I don't have to use the stock ones. All this is because of the spoke problem

I have a hard time keeping my spokes on my L tight. I have the wheel off right now.I am going to try to fix a spoke that broke on me awhile back.

I hope to have it done tomorrow.

I have a hard time keeping my spokes on my L tight. I have the wheel off right now.I am going to try to fix a spoke that broke on me awhile back.

I hope to have it done tomorrow.

I've had to weep some green locktite into the spoke nuts just to keep them from loosening on every ride. Every "L" I see around here has the same problem to one extent or another.