Give Trailwings a Break!

Think now... what if the drz400s came stock with a different set of tires that sucked just as much off road as our beloved Bridgestone Trailwings do. What would we end up calling them?

Would...

Kendas be called Kan'tas?

Michelin be called Micheless?

Continental be called Can'tinental?

Pirelli MT21 be called Pirelli MF21?

Dunlop be called Dunflop?

Avon Gripsters be called Avon Slipsters?

Maxxis be called Maxxisthisallthereis?

Metzeler Karoo be called... I couldn't think of a good one for the Karoo, how 'bout you kawidual? LOL!

Like a kazillion others, I'm looking to replace the DWs. I dumped it once (on dry dirt), and my shoulder didn't like it! I'm 90% street, and I know some of you will say Trailswings were made for that, but my shoulders and selected other parts think otherwise. I'm planning on doing a few organised DS rides this year and need better rubber.

Any and all input would be appreciated on the street characteristics, especially emergency manuvering, of any of the above mentioned brands/models or others for that matter!

Thanks

Drew W.

PS: NJ People, show me your trails and I'll show you mine, what's left of them!!!

For 90% street try IRC 110. They are better than death wings in the dirt, not great but better. Best of all not that expensive. I am now using TCK80's, but have not used them enough for an opinion. They are more 50/50, not as good on pavement as IRC 110, but better in dirt. I am sure others have their favorites as well.

I will just add this one thought...and let you ponder for yourself. The trail wings are awesome street tires as most will admit. They are wanting in loose or sloppy offroad conditions...Granted. Dirt tires are the polar opposite in my experience...awesome in dirt and loose and sometimes squirely on the street...especially a wet street.

Better to lay down in dirt then hard concrete?

((Better to lay down in dirt then hard concrete?))

well put IMO, I ran dual sport dunlops for about 20,000 miles (several tires) maybe 10 to 15% dirt at various times. They were much better on the street than the bridgestone TW's and a little better in the dirt but nothing to talk about.

For me, I'll give up some dirt instability for the street, ofcouse lean angles in the dirt is sensitive but on the street we could rail.

I'm converting over to full street treads, I'm going to see if they perform on the dirt equal to dual sport tires. I'd been running a Dunlop 604 now discontinued and replaced with a 607(already mounted) . It's considered a dual sport tire but the new revision is even more streetish. On the rear we have a MAXXIS 6103(not mounted), but were are sucking the life out of the dunlop dual sport on the rear presently. What I'm hoping to gain with that tire is longevity and maybe a little better wet street performance. The dual sport rear seems somewhat skiddish in the wet on certain roads under exuberant braking. But mainly replacing rear tires every 5 to 6 k has become not desirable.

So 90 % street I think knobbies you'll sacrifice on the street and have to replace often. If the street tears them up their effectiveness in the dirt will also demish IMO, but give them a try.

Its all a compromise until you get 17's or another set of OEM rims for street tires.

To have the best of both worlds it is the best solution.

You ride 90/10% street/dirt, but you want to stay alive for that 10% of dirt.

If you don't get a good tire for the soft stuff you should stay out of it. ?

Most of the DS tires would work for hardpack fireroads and some trails IMO.

I like the Karoo rear, Bridgestone E661 front combo everywhere, even soft stuff.

I was wearing them out too fast on the street so I got some barely used

OEM rims for $475 with new deathwings on them. Got a set off Chen Cheng

Barracuda slicks for $100, still wearing out the wings before I swap them.

You have already read the way too many karoo posts Ive made... ?

I'm going with a Terraflex next, probably never mention the karoo again. ?

Although the karoo is $15 cheaper. $70 vs $85 shipped.

I never would have thought I'd get responses in "about an hour", after all, this isnt a photo lab, or is it? I was actually counting on complements on my DS tire naming wit.

Anywho, I apprciate the info from ekaphoto, I don't think I've looked at the IRC 110, but I will. (or maybe I couldn't come up with a good name for it!!!) Perhaps IRDead or IRSlippery!!!

In response to MutualBill: I would only be out in wet conditions if not expected. The bike is my toy. I have a Chevy for wet days. Thanks for the philosphy though, "Better to lay down in dirt then hard concrete". I like that.

Drew

Wooh, this place is faster than a photo lab, I'm impressed, but at the same time dissapointed at the lack of appreciation of my DS tires naming wit! Forget the tire delima for now. ... I just ordered me some BigBR bar risers. CFC case guards are next.

Drew

hey think of it this way,at least were not riding around on just the wheels that would make any tire look good............................those deathwings were the first thing to go when i got my bike.after 8 months im on my 5th set of tires

I don't think the DOT tires will provide good enough traction for aggressive dirt riders off road in any case. My experiences so far with the wings on pavement are very good. If you fall on dirt you get sore, but falling on the street can be fatal at any speed if cars are around. The 10-20% dirt that I'm on is mostly logging roads and the stock tires work well enough - I've decided to just put in some MSR super heavy duty tubes so I can run lower pressures without getting flats, then pressure up for street. If that doesn't work I'll try something else. The idea of having the front end wash out with some dumb cell-phone yakkin, SUV-driving bimbo right behind me scares me to death.

I recently replaced my worn out "Flail Wings" ? with Maxxis C6006's. Big difference. I was pretty used to the Wings so I had some quick adjusting to do, especially on hills, as I almost looped it a couple of times because of the added traction. The C6006 is a 50/50 tire that I think is really a 50/50. The rear has big blocky knobs but close enough to ride pretty smooth on the road. I've had mine up to 95mph with no problems and they cruise just fine at 70-75 mph. The front is probably a little on the wimpy side for dirt but in any case these probably won't satisfy the 90 percent dirt dual sporter. These are popular with the big euro dual sport crowd along with the Continental TKC80 as the serious offroad capable tires that will last more than 2000 miles. C6006 tires cost about $50. I give them a ?

(((((I've decided to just put in some MSR super heavy duty tubes so I can run lower pressures without getting flats, then pressure up for street. If that doesn't work I'll try something else. The idea of having the front end wash out with some dumb cell-phone yakkin, SUV-driving bimbo right behind me scares me to death.)))))

Just to give you and idea, when I was in florida normal trip was up to 200 miles. IT incorporated curvy narrow roads, highway, and deep sand jeep trails and high speed sand fireroads. I have no time to play with tire pressure, so we have to make due with one setting. I did find some other DPers that trucked their bikes up there were I rode the offroad, but they were on full knobbies and not much into the street part.

If you hug around that 20 22 psi range , maybe one setting may work for you, I've ran it alittle higher. The key being making aggressive cuts with out the real knobbies is the issue, avoid them and can still trail ride at a pretty good pace. Ive seen speedo reads of 50 to 90 mph on dp tires offroad. From deep sand to hard grated sand fire roads.

But I'm aware of their weakness's>G<

Mechanicing at the local bike shop in the mid 80's when the Tiawanese had just started producing a decent product. The shop owner ordered up some inexpensive tires for "around town" bikes.

When they arrived the name in big bold proud yellow letters on the sidewall was:

DAE YOUNG

.....they didn't sell that sell but opening the box was a huge laugh. Sometimes things just don't translate well.

Ray Stedronsky

Davis, Ca

......those deathwings were the first thing to go when i got my bike.after 8 months im on my 5th set of tires

When I bought my bike and before I picked it up I had the dealer install a set of Dunlop 606's. I'm running MT21's now, I have never ridden on Deathwings. Then again I don't make it a habit to ride on asphalt, only to connect trails.