Sign in to follow this  

My Devol rad guard + stock grill mod...pics

Hey all, I posted this the other day before the catastrophic TT failure where a bunch of threads were lost. Well, in case others with the Devol rad guards didn't see it, here goes. After installing my Devol's, I wondered about the restricted airflow issue without running the stock white plastic louvers. A member on here (Armourbl, I think it was, thanks :) ) found a way to add the stock grills back on and directed me to a TT member on the 250 forum that actually ran tests on his bike using the Devol's with and without the stock grills added. There was an obvious cooling benefit to fitting the grills on top of the Devols. So, after messing around in the garage the other day, I found out it was pretty easy to make the stock grills fit and it actually looked pretty good. The first pic shows the little bit of plastic I had to trim from the grills on the top inside corner of each side. I just held them in place and turned the bars in to see where they would hit, then used a pair of side-cuts and a utility knife to trim it up. Then, I just zip-tied them to the Devols, a few at the top and a few on the bottom, and they fit pretty well. I have heard that the stock grills actually help keep mud from packing in the Devol's too, so this may be a mod that trail guys would want to do.

Im000903.jpg

Im000914.jpg

Im000904.jpg

Im000906.jpg

Im000907.jpg

Im000917.jpg

Im000910.jpg

So the first thing that comes to mind is why?

So the second thing that comes to mind is - did you even read the post before asking your question?

Thanks chrissa. Yeah, as I said above, it was shown to make the bike run cooler with the stock grills added. Plus, I have been told that mud packs in the small slots of the aftermarket guards easily, and when adding the stock grills, the mud tends to slide downward and fall off, versus packing in and causing the bike to overheat. But again, I repeat myself...

I actually ended up removing mine from my guards. They seem to work well for fast moving stuff, like the track or open desert, but they seemed to contribute to overheating in the tight technical stuff.

I can easily put them back on at anytime though if I feel the need.

ben

I know this thread is old, but do you still have the pics? Would like to see them if possible, thanks.

Here you go. I think they actually route more air into the rads. Thats why I put them on....

Im000917.jpg

Im000907.jpg

Im000906.jpg

Im000904.jpg