Sign in to follow this  

Bike will be garaged for a year!

I have a question and would be appreciated, I have an 04 x and will be deployed and will not be able to see my baby for a year. How should I store it? Also what should I do when I get back before I start riding it again? Any help from you guys would be appreciated very much.

tHE MAIN THING i WOULD DO IS PUT GAS STABILIZER,IN THE TANK AND RUN IT LONG ENOUGH TO MAKE SURE IT GETS IN THE CARB,I would also take the battery out or at least unhook it,If you have someone at home who could charge it every couple of weeks it would probably last alot longer,That should take care of it GOOD LUCK!!! rgp

Drain the gas! Stabilizer is ok for a few months...but gas doesn't have much gas in it these days...just lots of chems that will turn alot of things in the card green.

Change the oil....old oil has acids and such that is not good for a sitting motor.

Get a Battery Tender and put the battery on it...or just resign yourself to get a new battery when you get back.

Good luck on the deployment

Just got my feb.issue of 'dirt rider' with continued article on valve trains by Eric Gorr ---page 107 quote---when the engine is shut off, kick it over until piston is at top dead center. If any of the valves are open, moisture in the air will condense on the valve seat, causing corrosion. Thats not a problem for steel valves but a rough seating surface will damage the oxide coating of a titanium valve---unquote.

Hey thanks guys for the tips, I figured about the battery. Someone checked on it when it had been only a month, and it was dead. He also switched the fuel to the off position and let the engine run out of gas. I wanted to know if there still will be any fuel left in the carb to drain or will I be safe?

Change the oil, run it for a bit to get it circulated. Thats it.

Drain all the fuel, out of the tank and out of the carb. All of it.

Remove the battery and put it on a tender

If you can get both tires off the ground (milk crate etc)

if you wash it before hand, spray some WD-40

chain, spin it, wipe the excess off.

spritz some WD in the shift lever joint and on the foot peg joints

If you have it in a garage and for the most part temp controlled....shouldnt really be an issue.

The TDC tip is good too. do it.

Oh....get all your gear together, clean it and put it away in one spot, cause when you get home, if you do this stuff.....you can gas her up, put the battery on, find your clean gear and go roost and grin!

Good luck on your deployment!

HR

:)

:)

All the replies are great I would cover the rear pipe to be shore no moisture gets in to the motor. Make shore air cleaner is well oil to. Good luck

Sell it. I know it is a hard thing to hear but sell it and buy a new one when you get.

No need to worry about storage or something happening to it plus having a new bike is so nice.

Good luck and keep your head down if your going to be in the line of fire. I got back this summer form a one year deployment and bought a new bike as soon as I could! However, I did have a V-twin street bike that I was not able to store properly. We were deployed under unusual circumstances and it ended up being around two weeks from first hint to flying away. So I had two weeks to get my unit packed up, get the aircraft ready, and then we were gone... The bike was kinda a mess by the time I got back, battery was shot of course, carbs gummed up, nothing fatal but a pain to be sure. Selling your bike may be a good idea if you have time, then you can treat yourself to a special present when you get back!

If not, then do what Hawaii-rider said, he's right on.

Doug

:):):p