Sign in to follow this  

Radiator Brace/Guard

What is the best solution for bracing the radiator to prevent it from being jarred/bent when the bike is layed over on its side?

--Todd

Being new to the sport (2 years ago) I added works connection braces right off. My 450 has been on it's side more than a stink'n drunk and I've not once had a rad problem. I've had to bend the braces back into shape, but that's good. I bought them again for my 250.

I have the uni biker guard/brace they brace from the rear as well as the front guard makes the radiator near bullet proff.

The rooster Performance guards look nice. Seems like the best choice for the $$$.

Agree. I think I will pick some up. Great recommendation!

John

The rooster performance guards have large air scoops bent at the bottom. (possible at top too) Most rad guards I have seen are flat. I think I just found my next purchase! The price is on the money as well.

I had the WC, I liked the fact that they didnt push the radiator shrouds out any wider. After a recent spill, I noticed they did not protect against side impact. I recently picked up some used Devol on TT, they seem to push the shrouds out 1/2"-1" wider each side than stock. I may resell them and get the rooster brand instead.

Anyone with the rooster experience any fit problems or the shrouds pushing out further than stock.

I recently picked up some used Devol on TT, they seem to push the shrouds out 1/2"-1" wider each side than stock. I may resell them and get the rooster brand instead.

Anyone with the rooster experience any fit problems or the shrouds pushing out further than stock.

The rooster guards are going to push out the shrouds about the same as the Devol's. I have the Devol's and all you have to do is trim the inside of the shroud where the ridge is, that contacts the sides of the stock radiator. Just shave off about 1/2" - 5/8" of the plastic. Mine are very close to stock width now. If anything, they are less than 1/4" wider than stock. It is not noticeable. See this post for pics of my Devol's installed with the stock grills added.

works connection braces didnt help mine when it fell over on trailer. bent the left one in towards frame. they seem to be better suited to stop bending forward or back not in.

Being new to the sport (2 years ago) I added works connection braces right off. My 450 has been on it's side more than a stink'n drunk and I've not once had a rad problem. I've had to bend the braces back into shape, but that's good. I bought them again for my 250.

Ditto that, got WC on mine too, and work great!

Thats good news to hear they actually work. I was pretty sceptical at first. Bit to late for me though. My radiators look like bananas :)

The thing is, do they actually protect from squashing in (bananas) ? as the braces look to limit movement forward and back ?

Will look to get them straightened soon, provided the core doesnt crack and fall to pieces.

Claude155

<CRF450R>

Maybe it's just me, but when I had the WC rad braces on, they didn't seem to protect diddly. Granted, the radiators won't stand up to much abuse, but just tipping over turned one of mine into a banana with the brace on. Similar results on some other mishaps.

Those rooster guards look pretty cool, will they work with a large Clarke tank on?

Anybody know where i can get some that will fit with an oversized tank?? I tried WC they dont fit.