Sign in to follow this  

Honda CRF50 vs Suzuki JR50

Fairly new to motorcycles......

My son (6yrs old) has a JR50 and now looks like a string bean riding a circus clown bike after his recent growth spurt. The CRF50 has a taller seat height than the JR50 by two inches and he is still too small for an CRF70, will the CRF50 give him a little more power than the two stroke JR50?

Thanks!

Bk

The crf50s have way more power and torque then a JR.

I think he would be much happier on a crf then a JR if they JR doesnt have enough power for him.

Plus with all the aftermarket stuff available for the xr/crf50, you can keep upgrading the power as needed :)

I started my boy on a JR at 4yrs. old. He turned 6 and was complaining about the lack of power, so I went and got him a CRF50. That was 6 months ago and now he says he wants more power. No big problem with all the upgrades out there.

Here's my delema..... He wants to start racing. The CRF50 classes I have seen are stock classes. Meaning you can't do anything to them. If I do upgrades he can't race it. I will have wasted all the money in upgrades when I could have gotten him a KTM Senior Pro50 for the same price and be on a much more competative bike. If your child is only planning on riding as a hobby then you can go ahead and up grade the bike for the next 2 years as he grows. If he wants to race I would get him a KTM.

This is a tough age since they grow so fast. I thought I would be OK as far as expense but seeing how fast his riding has progressed I've been doing nothing but upgrading. New bike every year so far.

Hope this helps and not confuses you further. :)

For sale - JR50.....going to buy a CRF50!!!!!!

Thanks for all of the advice, you've made me feel alot better about the CRF50. And I can also see I'd better start saving my $ for upgrades and new bikes every year :) Maybe I'll save the JR for my daughther who will be riding within a year or so.

Thanks again!

Bryan

The crf50s have way more power and torque then a JR.

I think he would be much happier on a crf then a JR if they JR doesnt have enough power for him.

Plus its a FOUR STROKE! Less maintenance and cleaner burning. I suggest to people that come in to purchase the CRF50, that they shift the bike into first gear, remove the shifter and minimize the throttle input by adjusting the throttle stop screw. Then when they are ready, put the shifter back on.

Another cool thing about the crf50 is you can roll it around the pits on it and actually look cool :)

Then when he grows out of that you can take it and start "hopping" it up for yourself. :)

the 90 from yamaha does have a low seat height but it is heavy. My son started wit ha pw50 and out grew it v3ery quickly, I was between the KTM adventure seniot and the crf50, I opted for the CRF because it is more rideable for him, with the gears I can start him in 2nd and then he does much better on throttle control, and I put the handlebar kit on straight away, so there is room to grow. The KTM scared the crap out of him, very loud, and the trottle grabs.