Sign in to follow this  

Berthoud HS

Laurie and I have talked each other into riding the harescramble up at Berthoud tomorrow. I think I read that some of ya'll will be there too, right?We just have one request of you fast guys... please don't run us over, OK? We will, as instructed, try to "hold our own line" as best we can. :)

Laurie and I have talked each other into riding the harescramble up at Berthoud tomorrow. I think I read that some of ya'll will be there too, right?We just have one request of you fast guys... please don't run us over, OK? We will, as instructed, try to "hold our own line" as best we can. :p

I'll be right there next to ya at the end of the pack. :) If you see a guy on an old xr400 with new shiny clothes it's me! Good luck! :)

I came down with the flu and will have to miss the race on Sunday, arg....the weather forecast looks like perfect racing weather, you guys/gals have fun and I'll roost ya next time! For you first timers, remember the race is not won on the first lap, two hours is a very long time, pace yourself.

I came down with the flu and will have to miss the race on Sunday, arg....the weather forecast looks like perfect racing weather, you guys/gals have fun and I'll roost ya next time! For you first timers, remember the race is not won on the first lap, two hours is a very long time, pace yourself.

Or in my case, the race is not won at all! :) My goal is to finish in one piece.

Or in my case, the race is not won at all! :) My goal is to finish in one piece.

We're right there with ya on "finishing in one piece" as the goal! :)

We'll look for you on the XR400 with shiny clothes. Laurie is riding a KTM200 and I'm on a KX100. No shiny clothes, but we both happen to have red helmets. Oh heck, we'll all prolly be covered in mud in no time, so we'll all look alike anyhow. :p

you guys will be fine just remember its a 2hr race so pace yourself

good luck

Dave Smoljan

Well, we paced ourselves as ya'll instructed and SURVIVED! Laurie rode 7 laps for 4th in Women's Class and I rode 8 laps for 3rd. I think only six women raced today, so that's not really huge or anything, but we're still excited about it anyway because we had a fun time on such a beautiful day! :)

We saw a few guys on XR400s, but the clothes didn't look shiny, so I'm not sure if we saw the Terminal_Preppy. Did you survive too? :)

well, yeah i'm still alive...i'm SORE!!! I ended up with about 6.5 laps. Unfortunately a little way into the last lap i dumped it going around a corner, and somehow broke the spring that holds up my kick stand, so it was dragging on the ground. :p A track worker came and helped me, we tried to strap it up with some medical tape, but that only stayed together for about 2 jumps, and fell off again and i had no way to keep it up. SUCKS to not complete your last lap!!! :D I'm glad you guys did so well... :) this was my first time on an MX track and was quite an experience! I did better than i expected (dumped it 3 times). Boy does picking up your bike and trying to start it repeatedly really take it out of you. :) Too bad i already have something planned the date of the next one. :D

Too bad i already have something planned the date of the next one. :)

Awesome!!

Don't worry about missing the next one. The enduro season is about to start up as well as the new RMEC Hare Scramble series.

Plenty of racing all summer long!!

... we tried to strap (the kick stand) up with some medical tape, but that only stayed together for about 2 jumps ....

Well POOH, now I really wish we had met up. Like an idiot, I forgot to leave my woods tool pack at the truck. I had quick ties, safety wire, and a pair of pliers with me out on the track. I totally wish I could have helped. Next time for sure. :)

Hokie- Those enduros sound interesting; been wanting to try one. Is there one on the schedule this year that's better to "try" than others?

Well, my Wifes first enduro was Inyan Kara in Wyoming last year. She did it on a ttr-125l and seemed to have a good time. She could have finished it, but got confused and stopped after the 1st gas stop. It is not a timekeeper so that makes it a little easier not having to worry about that stuff as well as trying to finish your first enduro.

Couple Pix:

http://www.sidewinder.cc/BethanyEnduro/

Then she went to Avalanche and did one loop and said that was enough for that day!

I would email the promoter ahead of time and ask them about the difficulty just to be sure though. That is what I did last year.

I was able to get the kitchen pass and made the HS yesterday. What a blast :) I looked for you TP but wasn't sure which XR was you.

Not sure where I finished, but I met my goal of finishing. I hit the checkpoint around 1:55 so I had one more lap and ended up finishing around 2:15 with 9 ticks on my helmet. Can't wait until the next race :)

My hats off to those who passed me as If I was standing still :p

For a first time enduro I would try the Milliken race, 5/29. The Rocky Mountain Enduro Circuit is sanctioning a Hare Scramble series over the summer and the first race is at Berthod 4/3 which would be another good event to do, but will be very similar to the winter Berthod HS series.

It should be a great year of racing enduros and HS's !

more info is at www.racermec.org

Tin

. I totally wish I could have helped. Next time for sure. :)

QUOTE]

well, for me there won't be a next time because i'm going to have zip ties, wire and duct tape in my fender bag! the only reason i won't finish the next one is if something is really screwed! :)

Terminal,

I put a kickstand on my 450SX for trail riding/enduro convenience. Anytime I ride on a track tho, I tape or zip tie it up. Having it flop down while landing off a jump could be very ugly, you're fortunate to have only been inconvenienced.

Hokie- Those enduros sound interesting; been wanting to try one. Is there one on the schedule this year that's better to "try" than others?

Hokie listed the two enduros I'd recommend for a first as well, also the Texas enduros are run very well but are timekeepers. And like Tin said, there are several hare scrambles available this year.

I think the Texas ones would be good as well, but I am not sure if other people are crazy enough like me to drive that far to try out an enduro for the first time.

:)

I would have gone for sure and seen what happened, but I am hesitant to tell someone to go that far in case they don't really like it.

I think the Texas ones would be good as well, but I am not sure if other people are crazy enough like me to drive that far to try out an enduro for the first time.

That's very true, alot of the races involve a substantial drive. Depending on where you live in CO, it can be just as far to Inyan Kara as to a Texas race. Even the Avalanche race near Durango takes me 5 hours from Colorado Springs. The closest enduro to the front range of CO is probably Jumping Cow. While I enjoyed last years event at Jumping Cow immensely(till I got stuck in a mudhole!), certain stretches of the course were pretty technical for a beginner.

I guess now would be a good time to issue a disclaimer: "Certain events may or may not live up to expectations and may prove more difficult and/or frustrating than described. Recommender cannot be held accountable for actual conditions encountered, your results may vary." :)

I guess now would be a good time to issue a disclaimer: "Certain events may or may not live up to expectations and may prove more difficult and/or frustrating than described. Recommender cannot be held accountable for actual conditions encountered, your results may vary." :)

THIS is total truth! I described Caprock to a TT'er a couple of years ago, and he drove down from Kansas to race. He thought it was way over his head, and way too technical for a beginner and had a terrible time. Wish I'd had this disclaimer...

Merf

That is exactly correct! Good point on the driving distances too.

I would not tell someone to go to Avalanche for their first race since I have about a 50% race finish percentage down there.

I would tell someone that Pine Ridge was great (since I had a good race and got 3rd there) and I did not think it was too bad, but there were an awful lot of DNF's in my class for that race.

Depends on the person and the course layout for that year as well.