Sign in to follow this  

new crf100 or used ttr125

My children are finally getting to the age where they can start riding. I have to choose between 2 bikes, a new Honda crf100 or a used 02 model Yamaha ttr125. They seem to be the same size so that is not a concern. I can get however the brand new Honda for only 610.00 more than the used Yamaha. My question is though, which is better? The yamaha has a slightly larger displacement but does that matter much power wise? The Yamaha is a very good 8.5 on a scale of 1 to 10. Is the honda better, or is the Yamaha? I know nothing about the little thumpers so I need some direction. The prices are 1695.00 for the used Yamaha and 2300.00 for the new Honda.

Dale

Why don't you go with a used CRF/XR100 or even 80 for there first bike and save even more money.

The Honda's are bullit proof and hold up extremely well to new riders.

Personally I would say $2000 OTD!!! But there are tons of used xr100 and xr80's. If had a choice between the TTR or XR, I would probably pick the TTR. On scale of 1-10, the xr is a 3 and the TTR is 3.25. On the fun factor, they are both 8.5's. In stock form, both bikes are slow and badly suspended, the xr is just a little worse than the TTR. But I much perfer the way the XR revs. The TTR rev slow and feels real chuggy, the XR revs slow, but keeps going up to 14k!!!! I've seen both bikes get ridden super fast. And both bikes can rail if ridden properly. But for first bikes, you can't go wrong with either. Even a DRZ/KLX125 is a great bike.

They are both really good bikes. I too would probably go with the TTR, much better breaks, and much much lighter, apart from that they are pretty equal.

I have both and in stock fourm the ttr is better, better brakes, better suspenion ( not good but better) I just like the bike better but down the road if u wanna mod it go with a xr there r a lot of parts for both but nothing beats a honda and xrs have been around longs and seem to hold there valve better The 25 cc more displacment isnt that noticeable. I for a first bike i would buy used because its gonaa getr dropped and for a first bike u dont need speed just the basics if they didnt learn to use a cluch yet ( easier to learn on a quad b/c of 4 wheels) u might wanna look into a crf50, klx110, ktm, of ttr 90 but i dont know how big ur kid is or there level of experience. i would buy what ever is cheaper for a first bike i would spend like 500-1000 no more

I'm a beginner and my first bike is a tt-r 125L> So that is what I would recommend. It is big enough that it is fast and fun, but not so big that it scares me. I'm 5'6" so I can definitely put my feet on the ground, which makes me feel a little less worried about falling. Don't really know that much about the honda's though...just curious - is that the cheapest you can find for a ttr125? Mine is 2002 also and I didn't pay near that much. Have you checked your local trader online?

Yeah, I would shoot for under $1500 for a TTR or under $1100 for an xr. Just get a 1992 or newer xr100 or 1993 or newer XR80. Because they have a CDI ignition. I've seen mid 90's XR's go for $800.

They are both really good bikes. I too would probably go with the TTR, much better breaks, and much much lighter, apart from that they are pretty equal.

A TTR125 weighs about 15 pounds more than a XR100

The TTR is a better bike, more suspension, electric start on some, and bigger, but the honda is pretty much bulletproof. Id go for the TTR

posting in this forum is like asking: hey guys tell me to get an xr 100.

lets see:

100, lighter, smaller, better for smaller or beginner riders. come stock with handguards. with that short kick starter, i would imagine it harder to start, but i could be wrong

125: bigger, heavier, disc brake

I like the XRs, my friend has 04 TTR and he is already doing a complete rebuild. They are nowhere near as bulletproof as the XR. The TTRs upside is they have better brakes and suspension. I still choose the Honda though. I have a 02 and 03 XR 100 and I put them through hell and back, and they keep on coming back for more. BTW $2300 for the Honda is too much, I paid $1799 OTD for my XR 100. If money is a really big concern just get a used Honda! I would think you should buy a used bike anyways if it is your kids first bike. Also how old are they, why don't they start on a XR 50?

I rode a KLX125 this weekend and it by far is better than the XR100, TTR125, or the CRF150. Holy Crap, I just opened a huge can worms!!!! :) It's better than the XR100, well it just is, disc brake, power, ergonomics, little better suspension. It's better than the TTR because it has a little more power, but handles and fits the rider better, It's better than the CRF because it's 40 lbs. lighter. It feels like the CRF150 but lighter. Yeah, the CRF150 would win on Glen Helen's national track, but on smaller tracks the KLX would be right there, if not beat it. It's actually a pretty good bike, I can't believe I've dissed it ever since it came out. It's one that has gone under the radar. Plus, supposedly you can make huge, I mean huge. Something ridicules like a 300cc.

Remember, don't shoot the messinger. I'm just saying how it rides and it's pretty good. It also whooped me yesterday in a race, and I'm faster than he is, but I just couldn't real him in. I was on a 1981 xr120. Anybody want to buy a 1981 xr120??? It's trick. :)

Yeah I rode the DRZ 125, its a pretty nice bike. Honda should make a 125cc four stroke to compete with the TTR and DRZ/KLX directly. The 150 is too heavy and the 100 is just not as advanced as the new 125s.

Yeah, I don't know what they're thinking sometimes. At least front and rear aluminum rims, disc brakes, 30mm forks, and 9 inches of travel and 25 more cc's, and maybe a aluminum swingarm and not weigh more than 160 lbs. It's basically the same bike since 1985 and same motor since 1981. You would think they could have two versions or something.

yea.. since dropping the 250 and the 400, that would be pretty cool if they created a new bike.. the xr 100 is made of very good stuff.. one of my friends rides his at my house, and he wreckes, and throws it down all the time.. hes broken a few things but nothing big.. he never really changes his oil, and he revs the crap out of his bike, and it just keeps on goin.. as far as performance, and suspension goes though its just not there compared to the other 125.. now the 150 on the other hand, has the power, and suspension, but its a little over weight.. they should either try to put the 125 on a big diet or create another 125.. that would be pretty cool :)