Sign in to follow this  

Power up tweakin: little hard to start and stalls easy

Running the power up kit, 132 main, clip in 4th, fuel screw out 1.5. HAs some trouble getting started, especially hot. Also tends to stall easier than before at low speeds. When hot need to use choke to get her to fire back up. We are in Cinncati (600 elevation I thnk). 45 degree day.

Which eleemts to try and adjust first? Have a 120 main I might try but want to get it running optimally as is first.

Gunslinger,

I think you'll find that you need to run your fuel mixture screw out more. I have mine out 3 full turns with 45 pilot. My next trip into the carb will see a 48 pilot installed. My prior 230 seemed to be fine with the 45 pilot by my newest one still seems a little lean like your's may be. The lower ambient temp you are experiencing will cause your bike to run a little leaner than in Summer. I recommend turning your fuel screw out another full turn and see if you notice improved performance. I think you will. Do not exceed 3 turns out!!

Mike

Running the power up kit, 132 main, clip in 4th, fuel screw out 1.5. HAs some trouble getting started, especially hot. Also tends to stall easier than before at low speeds. When hot need to use choke to get her to fire back up. We are in Cinncati (600 elevation I thnk). 45 degree day.

Which eleemts to try and adjust first? Have a 120 main I might try but want to get it running optimally as is first.

If you need to use the choke to start a warmed up engine it is begging for richer mixture in the pilot. Follow coeshow's instruction and back that mixture screw out (richen). I would advise never to use recommended number of turns "out" as anything but a starting point. You don't mention what pilot jet you are running. Use your adjustment, up to 3 full turns out. The 1.5 setting sounds way too lean for a 42 and even a 45.

Thanks gentlemen. I believe the mian (you'd think I would know for sure) was aper sticky: a 45. Will test it out tomorrow and report back (if I dont kill myself - its terribly muddy out there here :) ) Today riding in the mud had the same sensations as skiing.

I went skiing instead, to get "the" sensation. :)

The starting problem lives in the mixture screw. I'd turn it out (richer) 1/4-1/2 turn each time you cold start until you are happy--up to 3 turns out. At your elevation, with your mods, with cold temps, 1.5 turns out has to be too lean.

Then, you will have to re-do it all when the weather warms up again. :)