Missouri Riders Do You Remember

My Buddie's dad showed me a place to ride not far from St. Joe state park.

He called it "Sugar Bowl "

Does anyone remember this place? It had a huge chat/sand hill climb, some trails, and some sand flats. The place was awesome!

Can you still ride there? Where exactly was it?

you may be talking about ebo, it got closed down a few years ago.

Yes

I had a TM400

The sugerbowl was the place to ride.

You had to dodge the hang gliders then, but they crashed more than I did.

I don't know what ebo is, but I heard the suger bowl was shut down about the time the state took over the Flat river riding area.

Maybe some locals will chime in here and give us the real scoop.

Thanks

2-Ton

i'll try not to make this too long. no, you can't ride there any more. it, like ebo, are no longer "legal" to ride. the "sugar bowl" was/is in bonne terre. what's left of it is the large pile of chat on the north-west side of hwy.67. the chat was piled up there in a ring. it looked like a great big mound but it actually had a hole in the middle. it was like a 360 degree hill climb. from the inside and the outside. a couple years ago doe run lead started to try and level off the sugar bowl and some of the stuff on the other side of the highway to avoid litigation. some people living in the area decided that the doe run company had a bunch of money, so lets sue them. there must still be lead in that stuff and i'm too stupid to stop my kids from eating it, so doe run owes me money.

missouri is home to the largest lead deposit in the world, the viburnum trend. all those old chat piles from ebo to bonne terre to flat river(parkhills) to the current lead mines in the town of viburnum, are the same ore. the ore is dug up with lime stone and ground up as part of the process to remove the lead. the left overs (chat) are mixed with water and pumped to areas to settle out. some of it was dumped in piles. like bonne terre. some times valleys were (are) dammed off and filled. like st. joe park. they say that the sand(chat) at st.joe is still pretty much liquid about thirty feet down. like quick sand.

people have been mining lead for a long time. there used to be a bunch of small mine companies. when most of them went out of business it left the chat piles open for us to ride on. you could ride from bonne terre to the flat river area on the old mine property. once the courts were done with it, most of the property became state owned. no more open riding. doe run lead owns just about everything else now days. the st.joe park area (st.joe was the name of one of the mine companies, st.joe lead) used to be at least twice as big as it is now.

ok, that's enough. i'm starting to bore myself. and yes there were guys that tried to hang glide off of it. it's a wonder they didn't castrate them selfs on the barbed wire fence on the highway side of the hill.

I used to ride there years ago. It is off of highway 8 out of Desloge, like heading towards Potosi. I went there about 4 years ago. They have a barbed wire fence around the place but the locals have a hole cut in the fence that is big enough to drive your truck through. Last time I went there we drove back in and parked out of sight of the road and nobody bothered us. We were going to turn around and go somewhere else but then we saw some people riding and decided to ride. I haven't been back since so I'm not sure if it would be safe to ride there or not.

I'm another one old enough to remember back when we road for miles there between the Suger Bowl to what became St. Joe park, went drag racing at the flats of Bonne  terre off of I-55. Was there in 75 with an old 70 DT 250,  my new Ford F100 4x4 and then a few years later with a few buddies 4 wheeling truck and jeeps. Seen Big Foot there not doing much but all having fun all day and never seeing the same trail twice. It seams to have schrunk these days. 

Now for the strangest thing I ever seen. Going accross the flts behind the suger bowl in my old blue GMC some guys were waving me off and a bunch of guys standing around there was a truck sinking right there in the chat untill it was gone.  I saw it my self. It just sank. Must of been in 78. Any way just my 2 cents worth.