Sign in to follow this  

Does this seem like a good deal?

I am trying to work out a trade on this bike but since I dont know much about dirt/motard bikes I dont know what its worth. The bike I am trading is worth about $5000. If the owner of this bike is a member here, I am not trying to offend I just want to make sure I get a fair deal. Here is the scoop on the bike, this is a quote from the owner.

Its a '02 KTM 520 exc that was bought by my friend and converted by him into a supermoto setup. he then sold it to me. I don't have any of the dirt stuff. He works for brembo, so the bike has about $1600 worth of brembo brakes (radial master, caliper, disc, excel wheels with modular hubs, suspension lowered with a racetech revalve in the front. its also got an e-start (you WANT an estart), battery and lights, digital speedo, scotts damper, plate with current reg (currently all street stuff is in the box). the bike has about 5 or 6 races in the beginner class and several track days.

the motor has had regular maintenance with redline synth every track day and pulls really strong.now geared for the street 15/42 good for over 100mph, but alittle tall for the track. it does have a few scapes, but as you know these bikes crash well, just scraped brush guards and axel sliders. I also have a spare set of bars, guards, etc if you decide to make it look perfect. I took it to palomar and gmr acouple of times- street bikes dont have a chance. I got it for $6000 last year. its prolly worth around 5k now.

Let me know what you guys think!

Sounds more than reasonable to me, although if you found out the actual details of the parts on the bike it would be easier to calculate. Brembo radial MC's come in different varieties so it could be a $250 part or a $400 part, and the same goes with a lot of bike components. However it sounds like the bike is reasonably priced to me, especially with the street tags.

If it was me, I would have no problem with taking the owner's word if they were a regular TT member since most of the people here are gold. If not, I would probably get a little more details on the components and spend a little time on Google to get and idea of what everything goes for. If you have met or spoken with the fellow selling the bike, and they seem pretty straight up it sounds like it could be a nice deal for you.

Good luck! :)

Yeah, he seems pretty straight up. He goes to Grange and Amago and his knowledge of bikes and tires seems pretty good. Im going to do the swap on wednesday as long as he likes my bike in person and I like his. Thanks for the info!

Bill