Sign in to follow this  

Dakar DRZs

Finally.....after searching a while I finally found some pictures of two of the Dakar DRZs

One seems lightly modified with what looks like a KTM fairing and probably only one side tank on the left. The other has had more work done on saddle tanks and rerouted exhaust (note the stock heat shield moved down in back of the right peg) but kinda ratty in the fairing department and way weak on lights.

I know everyone isn't into the Dakar but I'm also posting one link to an incredible ride report written by Bob Bergman, a canadian, who finished first time out...makes your last enduro or DS ride look like sitting home locked and loaded in the barcolounger with a beer at your elbow.

http://dakar.odsc.on.ca/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=27

Enjoy

Ray Stedronsky

Davis, CA[/img] DakarDRZ1.jpgDakarDRZ2.jpg

Beauty. Thanks for the post. I was ticked when it initially appeared I could not watch Dakar this year. Luckily I tripped over it on OLN one night. :) It didn't show up in their listings on the net till after it started :) I was worried I wouldn't get a fix. Too bad I can't cancel Nascar TV (speed) it is pretty lame now.

I have his day to day post converted into a Word Document, and also PDF. I haven't had a chance to put it on a web site for linking yet. If you are interested in it, I can email it to a few people. PM if interested in reading it.

Strong work Ray :) Nice pix and the write-up was fantastic! I love the Dakar and have never come across a written account anywhere close to as good as this one.

I have done some research on the first picture (with the KTM alook fairing)

The name of the rider is Louis Ramel from the Juramel team, from France.

But the picture is not from Dakar 2005 but from 2003 or 2004.

What i really like to know is what tank and fairing they have mounted on the bike.

Maybe someone knows more?

Anyone know where to get those rear tanks? Tried MSR fuel bottles before, but they don't hold much. I've been using a 10L desert canteen for carrying extra fuel, but that rear tank looks like a much better way to do it.

The more I look at the blule french bike, the more I think the tank may be the 7 (approximate) gal. tank that Burrenrider has down in Australia. Given that, you wouldn't need the rear saddle tanks although in all the sand more weight in the rear might not be a bad thing.

I didn't realize that the photos may be from earlier years, I searched for "2005 Dakar photos" but other years may have snuck in. That's probably why the numbers didn't match up with this years starting grid numbers/riders.

Anyway, I like the look of the bikes and if we can pool our knowledge we may actually find out where some of these parts can be found.

By the way....a german company called "Africa Queens" (ya gotta grin when you say that) has a front fairing and rear tank/sidepanels for XR650Rs that looks very nicely done and also quite expensive.

Please feel free to add any photos or info to this thread so we can expand our Dakar horizons.

Oh....if you haven't read the ride report....you really should. Highly recommended.....even though you'll feel like a whimp for your next few rides.

Ray Stedronsky

Davis, CA

Thanks, Ray...I watched the entire rally on OLN and enjoyed the coverage. That is one tough race! I thought the Red Bull / KTM American team made a pretty good showing and I suspect those guys will do even better next year. I can't believe the speed across the terrain. These guys are fearless! Of course two bike riders died from crashes this year and one was a veteran of the Dakar and maybe even a previous winner. Thanks again! :)

I read that Canadian Bob's report on doing the rally unsupported , and all I could think was 'holy shite, these guys are hard!' An amazing test of man and machine, and with the additional peril of the countries they are riding through, they are true ironmen.

Thanks for the links. Any reports from the riders that attempted it on the DRZs?

Jim

If you mean the taillight on the blue 39 bike, I think it's the euro model stock taillight assembly. This is the same one in all the pictures of the 400 SM but I'm betting the US model 400SM comes with the "widescreen" version that we all have on our S models.

It would be great if some of the UK parts suppliers listed this assembly but I haven't searched for it yet.

When I had my SRX 600 Yamaha I was able to pretty much bolt up the UK style taillight that also had much more pleasing lines.

Ray(sometimes smaller IS better)Stedronsky

Davis, Ca

G'Day Ray,

Thanks for posting the photo's, I was curious to know what setup the Dakar DRZ's ran.

The more I look at the blule french bike, the more I think the tank may be the 7 (approximate) gal. tank that Burrenrider has down in Australia. Given that, you wouldn't need the rear saddle tanks although in all the sand more weight in the rear might not be a bad thing.

The tank looks slightly different to mine but of a similar capacity (mine is made here in Oz by R & V Aqualine). There is also a company making 43 Litre tanks for the DRZ in Germany but they are different again so I am not sure where that one originated from.

The headlights look as though they are off an early KTM or are one of the touratech units made to suit the BM's.

01-040-0285-0_I_01.JPG

The rear tanks appear to be a really good fit. At first I thought they must be custom alloy units but it appears as though they are nylon or plastic as they have a clear fuel stripe up the side like the KTM Rallye's do.

Lighting on the two bike is probably quite similar. The standard DRZ headlight is supplemented by small HID units which would boost it's abilities. Trail-Tech makes a similar unit but I don't know how well they would work.

251_mini_torch_sm.jpg

I don't mind some sand riding but can you imagine riding nothing but sand for about the equivalant of a trip clean across America just in power sapping deep sand. I can think of few things I'd rather do. I do respect anyone that can do that but I question their sanity. prairiedawg :)

I do respect anyone that can do that but I question their sanity. prairiedawg :)

When you weigh up the expense, danger and plain out suffering invovled with these kinds of events, it doesn't add up on many levels. The only justification that I can see is the sense of acheivement at the finish line. It must be addictive too because many of the privateers come back year after year at great personal expense to run mid pack if they finish at all.

My ambition of racing the Safari here in Oz has been watered down by logic in the past and now I have lost the urge to push myself that hard. Given the speed and expense associated with rally's these days I am content to wander round the country side on my DRZ finding interesting places and having fun along the way. I still have an immense amount of respect for the riders that do compete though and the Safari in particular is an event that will continue to fascinate me for years to come.

I just read the report from Bob the Canadian guy, WOW. That sounded like a tough race, that guy most be an animal. :)

Thanks for posting the pictures and the link. :)

Burren_Rider they screened the Australian Safari rally here in SA on one of the sport channels and it looked like (dare I say it) alot of fun. I really enjoyed watching it, great terrain and beautiful scenery. Also good to see a KLX400 finished in 8th place was it :)

I have been following the Dakar for a couple of years now and love it ! The death of Meoni was a huge blow though, very sad. Two years ago when he was on the twin they had an interview with him and you could see he really loved riding motorcycles, he was a great competitor (sp).

As for people competing I think it's a real emotional thing, people return year after year just to finish the event even after years of suffering. I've seen many a competitor being overcome by emotion when he realises his Dakar dreams are over whether it be by injury or bike failure. People have tried to carry on with severe injuries just to try and reach the finish ! I think getting to Dakar is something you will never forget :)