Sign in to follow this  

Broken head or valve cover bolts still an issue??

I was up riding the other day and my buddy had a crash on a big uphill. Being the good friend that I am, I went up to jeer and humiliate him before helping him pick his bike up. When I went to help him, I laid my bike over, on the hill, as I have done many times, with the seat facing up the hill. (Like I said, I have done this quite a few times on really steep hills, as the bike is almost standing upright by laying on it's side) When I started my bike, there was a ton of smoke coming off of my motor and out of my exhaust pipe for about 1 minute. It almost seemed that some oil got up in the cylinder, and out on the header. I have heard of the broken head bolts and thought that this problem was cured for the 05's. It's a 525EXC and any help would be totally appreciated. I even wondered if the vent hose had maybe got a hole burned in it and leaked some oil on the header pipe, however, that would not explain the oil coming out of the exhaust. Anybody got any ideas?? Thanks for any help !! :):)

Did it stop smoking after a minimute or two? If so I think you had it leaned enough, maybe the engine over full of oil? that some oil went up the crankcase vent and got to the carb, engine ingested it so it smoked for a bit. That is a better problem then re pouting the hose and have the crankcase breathing unfiltered air.

To check the bolts, just above your sparkpug there are two bolts going down into the engine, just make cretain they still have heads on them, if they don't oil & smoke would have increased.