Sign in to follow this  

CRF100 just bought, break in?

Got a brand new 04 CRF100. Tech at the dealership said a 15hr breakin period at no mare than 3/4 throttle, Then bring in for first service ($130) where they tighten everything up and check valves. Does this sound normal? :)

15 miles, not hours. Vary the throttle, nothing above 3/4, easy riding. Break-in procedures should be listed in your owners manual.

Buy a shop manual, change the oil, tighten the spokes and anything loose, and save the $130

Robert :)

I can almost guarantee that not too many dealers would be checking your valve clearances at the first service. Like Robert says, do the work yourself, it's easy, just follow the manual. Put the $130.00 towards some riding gear :)

Yeah it says 15miles in the manual. I wonder if he meant 15hrs until first service? :) Says 100 miles in the manual. I'll probably do myself as suggested.

Tanx

>>Is this the way you broke your bike in? Anyone?<<

I broke in my 250R in a very similar fashon. works for me.

I broke in my 250X and the 88cc big bore kit on my XR70 this way. My brother and I both bought our 250Xs on the same day. He stuck to the owners manual method and his is slower than mine. We drag race, swap bikes, and drag race again. My bike always wins by about 10 feet after about 1000 feet. Guess I'm a believer in the "ride it hard" break-in method :)