Sign in to follow this  

Will This Fit

I am under the impression that the 1996-present models are all the same except for colors and graphics, so I think it should fit. The gel seat used to come with colored accents for each year, but now it is all black, so that may explain why there is a limited year dsignation for the Ayers catalog part. There was a person selling a new one on EBay a couple of days ago for $139, and it might still be there. If you buy through Ayers, make sure they actually have the seat. It was backordered for two weeks through all outlets when I got mine.

Mine is a 2001. I bought the seat for the lower seat height, and the result is definetely mixed. The seat is lower in the very front, as a result of the shape being sloped steeper towards the tank. However, when I ride with a tank bag, the bag blocks the lowest point, thus I can't really touch the ground any better.

I have one on my '01 650 and it will fit '96 up bikes. It lowers the seat height and is somewhat flatter than the stock seat making it feel a little wider so you don't feel like your sitting on a 2X4. It is not a giant differance but it is still worth getting. I can ride longer with out getting as sore,especially on the street where I'm sitting more than standing on the pegs as I do on the trail.

One thing that felt a little funny at first was that with the lowered seat height my knees were bent a little more which made the transition from sitting to standing a bit harder on the knees.(my knees have been abused over the years and a small change can really be noticed).

When you ride a passenger they will notice a bit more comfort as well.

Mike.

Sargent Mike Thanks for the post. I am somewhat of a fan of your posts. Buying a DR650 modding it and such. Do you do much riding in central FL? :)

Sargent Mike Thanks for the post. I am somewhat of a fan of your posts. Buying a DR650 modding it and such. Do you do much riding in central FL? :D

WOW,what can I say to that :)

I love Florida and usually get down there for one month a year in the summer to visit my folks who have retired there. The Ocala forest is close to where they live and I steal away as much time as I can to go riding there when my family isn't paying attention. :p

It's gotten so that I know my way around the Ocala as well as the pine barrens of my home state of NJ.

Your very lucky living in Florida.

I say this because your rangers and the overall attitude is amazingly positive towards offroading compared to NJ. Here you can legally ride the state forests if your driving a registered vehicle as with say a hunters pick-up. But still there are state signs that say "NO" MOTORCYCLES,DIRTBIKES,ATVs,etc...

Logic dictates that anywhere a legally registered pickup can go,so can an equally registered dual sport,right? Not really. The law can bend to the whim of the particular ranger and fines can be very steep. Most see us as criminals.

As for Florida, every and thats "every" ranger that I ran into was friendly and helpfull making even this "yankee" feel welcome.

NJ could have a lot to learn from them!

If you ride these trails,get a topo map from the rangers and bring a compass. You'll need them. Keep your bike well maintained and ride with a friend if you can. Cell phones don't reach back there!

As for mods you'll need knobbies for the sand (Kendas are good,and affordable)and a 14 tooth front sprocket will keep the bike from laboring in the sand at low speeds. (a JT sprocket goes for about $15) These are the only mods "you really need"to do to the bike. They will make the bike safer and much easier to ride on the trails,the rest of the mods can come later.

I don't know when I'll be getting down there again for sure but maybe I'll give you a shout the next time I do and we can hook up for a ride. :)

Mike.

Hey I think I know where you were! (?)

That looks alot like a section of trail that runs behind the ranger station off Rt.19 across from the turn off for Alexander springs Rt.445. (just outside of Pitman)I have a photo that my daughter took of me chugging through a flooded section of trail that looks like it could very well be the same one in your photo! I was almost up to the seat. (I didn't worry about the airbox's top being cut out after that).

I tell you you,that sugary sand is exactly the same as we have in the Pine Barrens. Oaks and pines too! Florida just replaces our blueberry bushes with palmetto and while we both have rattlers and little lizards scooting across the trail you guys have gaters! :)

I never did get comfortable with them like many floridians seem to be.

Its a beast keeping up with friends on their lighter XR's, huh?

Let them have the whoops and roost on them when the trail flattens out! :D

If you get the suspension worked by someone like thumper racing it'll be a lot easier wrestling the big DR through the sand. Remember that you have the advantage of the big torque that the 650 puts out and just grab lots of throttle to power through the sand when your buddies are slipping their clutches to keep the revs up.:D (bigger can be better) :)

Anyway thanks for the pictures! Its making me relive recent and past memories as well as motivating me to get out of this winter induced funk and go riding! :p

Thanks,

Mike.

PS-the more I watch that video the more I'm convinced I rode through that flooded trail. You called it the river, it had just looked to me like a swampy area that flooded out because of rain that fell when I was down that summer(to a degree that only Florida can dish out).

Mike that area you see is in Big Scrub just about 6 miles from the campground. And about a mile from the forest road that runs along the powerlines. That xr and cr are usually trying to keep up with me. My bike has a 7.6KG/mm Spring install, Dyno jet Kit with airbox cut out, and a big ol Tera Flex Rear tire. I am only 150lbs so that helps with the weight issue. :p We are doing a dual sport run on the March 6th with Dixie Dual Sport. It's a 120 mile run through the northern ocala national forest. It will Be cool to find out what that part of the forest is like. Big Scrub is in the southern part of the forest and is over used by quads. :) Thats why soooo much sugar sand. Well I will always post new pics and vids on that web site if you want to see what these "REDNECK" Florida boys are doing. And if you make it down shoot me an email we will go riding I can show you those spots lots of fun :)

PS. I will PM you my e-mail

Ok,I know where that is and yeh the area there must be about 200' wide of torn up sand for the length of the power lines. The quad guys seem to stick close to big scrub and the power lines though not getting too deep into the woods. I've never been comfortable on a quad,feeling awkward and have a tendency to want to lean or put a foot down(and run over it),but I got a kick out watching the groups of quad guys (and girls) comming and going. They seemed to be a good responsible family group, not out of control at all.

They can have the big scrub area,its a big forest.

On the dual sport run,yeh I saw that listed in bike week activities in the latest AMA mag. I'd love to do that but I couldn't get away from work.

It sounds like you've got the 650 up for the challange. If you havn't put a pipe on it yet,try to do so. You'll get a big boost down low! Oh yeh the weight thing is a big plus. I'm 200lb.s and I can see the advantage of being lighter when I ride my wifes XR100. To me it feels slow but when my neiphew gets on it (130lbs) he flys.makes it look like hes on a 250!

One thing I was wondering, on the southern end of the forest they had cleared a big part out when I was last there and my Dad said that the Air Force is using that area for bombing runs. Is that any kind of problem?

Mike.

PS-They call me a "red neck" and a "piney" up here too for where I spend all my free time! :) its a good thing!

Hey Mike this is Rich the DR650 dude from the NJ Dual sport Ride last year.

Let's chat....Got a lot of riding planned for this year.

We're gonna ride the 7 mts DS in State College PA June 19, then ride down to Hatfield McCoy and over to Kodak TN for the nation DS ride on June 26.

Interested? If not maybe a quick ride on No Jersey one day?

-Rich