Sign in to follow this  

DRz 400 jetting

James, I have tinkered around with jetting this bike and probably have it more messed up than I should. I want more low end power, (no off idle bog). I prefer to keep it quiet if possible so I still have the stock exhaust. I am thinking about installing the JD kit for the bike but want to know if you think I also need to make some other changes.

02 drz400e, airbox snorkel removed, coast enricher removed, clip dropped one down from stock, 48 pilot air jet, PAS set at 1.5 turns (yes, I know it should be less but it will not idle down if set at 7/8 turn), 158 main, adjustable fuel screw set at 2.5.

All riding done below 1000ft. It does not like to idle very well with these settings. I have checked for airleaks all around the carb and intake, none noted.

Do you think the Jd kit will help out? Any other changes needed?

Thanks for the input, Mike c

I don't understand why they Pilot Air needs to be at 1.5 turns to get it to idle down... ?

The PAS should be at 3/4-1 turn with a #45-48PJ.

The kit will certainly help as long as there are no air leaks. Try setting the air screw at 1 turn with #48PJ or 3/4 turn with #45PJ.

Follow the kit instructions with that pilot setting.

Thanks,

James

James, I too can not figure out why it will not idle down with the normal setting of the PAS. I checked for air leaks. I removed the carb and cleaned all the ports I could get to. I removed the airbox and ran the bike to set the PAS at a point where the engine will idle down. Additionally, it did not idle very well. It does it better with the current setting of the PAS but still stalls out if I gun the engine hard. Is a 48 too much of a jet with the stock pipe? I am going to order your kit today. I think that will help my acceleration problems but this is something seperate, at least I think it is.

Thanks, Mike c