Sign in to follow this  

Powder Coat Color?

Know that my engine is out being rebuilt, I've decided to powder coat the frame. It is a dirt bike, so it probably won't be long before the new finish is dinged up. I'm trying to decide which color would best hide the scratches, chips and rust. I'm thinking black, silver, grey. Anyone have any experience with which color would keeps it's look?

I recently rebuilt my motor and tranny and powdercoated my frame. i like the powder coat a lot. i went with a blue, its not exactly stock, but its pretty darn close. i thought it would be tougher though, the finish on the frame started wearing after about a week. Maybe it's because i ride every day? oh well, its better than it was. talk to your powder coater, maybe they could mix up something special? Good luck with your powder coat, i would keep the finish as close to stock as possible, that might make it easier to sell later. Just a thought.

Justin.

2001 YZ250F

i Can't tell any weight difference on my bike, but the powdercoat was definitely way thicker than the stock paint. I had to grind of the finish around some of the holes. i don't think powdercoat adds any weight and if it does, its not enough to worry about.

Just as a precaution, you may want to thoroughly flush your frame with diesel fuel for a while after you get it back just to make sure there's no blasting media left inside. There's been a number of people who have had their frames powder coated who ended up with blasting media in their frames even when the holes were supposed to be plugged. You'll oil consumption will rapidly increase and some of your bearings will be galled, loss of power, etc. The coating will be very durable if the process is done correctly and your frame will look fantastic, but make certain that no blasting media remains in the critical areas of your frame.

Call Jeff at Embee.Thats who did my frame.It is still on the frame rails where my boot rubs and is holding up great.I have not had too many rides on it yet tho.It has 4 hrs worth of harescrambles,about 3 6-8hr days of practice,3 days of arenacross, and 3 mx races.Embee is the only place who has the Factory Yamaha frame powder.Also tell them you want the same masking as team Yamaha.He masked all all the places where I would normally have to take the coating off.I had to do virtually no work once I got the frame back besides flushing the oil system.My frame is a color of silver.If you are going to spend the money and get the bike PCed make sure you call Embee.

I just got my frame back from being powder coated and it looks sweet. I had it done in lolipop blue (candy blue). :)

Does powdercoating add much weight?

You're kidding right?

Use photoshop to change the color of the frame. I did different colors on my truck so now I know what color to paint it later on. I also put some dubs on it!