Sign in to follow this  

kids starter quad questions?

I want to get a starter 50cc quad for my three sons. Do any of you out there have any experience with the Chinese brands? Kazuma etc? Where do they sell the off brand stuff in so. cal.? Any thoughts on quality or durability now that they have been out for awhile? thanks for your help. :):p:)

I want to get a starter 50cc quad for my three sons. Do any of you out there have any experience with the Chinese brands? Kazuma etc? Where do they sell the off brand stuff in so. cal.? Any thoughts on quality or durability now that they have been out for awhile? thanks for your help. :):p:)

be ready for a flame fest. . .you're kinda new so i'll go easy: why a quad?

be ready for a flame fest. . .you're kinda new so i'll go easy: why a quad?

If you can't answer his question, why bother posting?

I bought my a quad for xmas,i looked a the kazuma and other cheap brand quads but ended up back at our local bike shop and got them a Yamaha 50 instead,just the quality and the constrution of the Yamahas are not to be looked past,you pay a bit more but should handle the time the kids have the bike and still get some good money back when there ready for a two wheeler or larger quad.

thanks,

I'm sure I will end up doing the same thing.

How old is your kid? I have two 4 year olds and one 6 year old and not sure what size to get in order to get the most years out of it. I almost need a 50 and a 90...

About how much can I expect to be able to pay below msrp?

Check out the Eton 70. I've got one for my kids and it has been excellent. It has all the saftey features and you can throttle it down for beginners, but it also has enough power and suspension to be fun for women and older kids.

I just bought a new 2005 Kazuma Meerkat 50cc Kids ATV off ebay from highrpm_racer (Ron Kosydor) and got a great price delivered right to me at to my company ($600.+/-). :) I'm getting it for my 7 year old daughter, and understand these to be good quality products, and they do include a warrantee. I just couldn't see paying alot more for something I'll probably be moving up in size sooner than later, especially knowing it won't be getting trashed or heavily used. Local shops do need our money too though....

Small 50 cc quads are a good way for the little ones to learn brake/throttle control.

I bought a 04 Kawasaki KFX 50 last summer for my 4-year old (very small child under 40 lbs).

It has parental controls and he rips pretty good on it after a few hours of teaching him the basics.

The Kawasaki is around $1800 new, but the same dealer wanted $1200 for a 5 year old used one (looked rough). So I guess they hold there value well.

If anybody has a KFX 50 or an LTA 50 and needs to know how to mod it for some real power PM me and I will tell you how to get alot more power out of it for under $200.

sireland67- so what's the HP secret? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

xr4bka- The 50cc quads might work for the 6 year old for a little while, but he'll likely get bored. The 90cc quads are too big for a 4 year old. Be forwarned- the performance market for kids quads sucks. You either modify the bat crap out of a Kasea type quad ($), or drop 8K on a new Cobra 70cc shifter quad. I moved my son from his Suzuki 50 quad to a KTM Pro Jr dirtbike because of the money issue.

-The Yamaha 50 and 80 Raptors are poo. With a rev limiter set at around 4500rpm's, and no aftermarket fix as of yet, there are loads of pissed off parents who's kids outgrew the quad's performance in about 3 days. No to mention the front suspension isn't even independent- it's a solid axle!

-The Suzuki 50 is a great 1st quad, and it is really small. Once it's been modified the lack of quality suspension becomes really apparent. Their 80 is really narrow, I'd suggest widening it if one ends up in your garage. The Suzuki's are made in Korea, btw.

-The Korean quads like the Kasea, E-ton, Dinli, etc, are good machines, but the quality control is really not up to current standards. Use caution, some of the non Skyhawk model Kasea's are made in China.

-Most everyone I've talked with is not at all excited about the Chinese made machines. The QC is just crap, many of the bearings are a odd size, often times the metalurgy and engineering is bad enough that safety concerns are a real concern. I'd avoid the "Made in China" models.

After having recently gone through all this, I have to ask- why not just pick up a PW50 for the 4 year olds, and a XR50 for the 6 year old?

Is the xr50 that much more of a bike than the pw50? The specs say +/- 2" in height.

I am surprised at how much less $ the 2 wheelers are than the quads.

My boy's ride bicycles really good but for some reason I'm not sure if they can handle a motorcycle... Any advise out there regarding your child's first ride on a two wheeler at 4-6 years old. With proper protection I imagine they can get hurt worse on a 2 wheeler.

Personally I'm not a quad fan but isn't it a good place to start?

Thanks.

From the perspective of a 45" tall, 45 pound kid, with an inseam of 20", the XR50 is very different. 80 vs 105lbs, auto vs 3 speed, and there's more like 3+" difference in seat height. Oddly enough, their top speeds are almost the same.

Find a open field to train them on, and plan on doing a lot of running. Take it slow, and be very encouraging, down to clapping and cheering when they do any little thing right. This goes for quads too.

While it's certainly easier to crash on a dirtbike than quad, the quad does weigh quite a bit more, a real issue for a 50 pound kid that has zero chance of kicking it off him. I've seen it several times. Proper riding gear is the same for 2 wheels as 4.

One advantage quads do have is ease of trail riding. They don't fall over in little ruts, fist sized rocks in the trail won't cause a crash, and they're much easier to handle in mud.

Should you do go for 4 wheels, don't forget how much room they take up to transport.

I bought my son a quad for his 3rd birthday, before he could ride a bicycle. We live on a mountain with almost no flat ground, so pedal power was an issue. I figured the skills learned on 4 wheels would transfer over when on 2 wheels, but that didn't seem to be the case. I'm not negative about quads, just asking the question and making the comments that might have been helpful when my son was first starting out.

I've been looking at the Kazuma 50cc quad for my daughter. She has a Barbi Jeep and loves it, but it has no suspension and gets stuck all the time. A little quad like the Kazuma would be great for her. highrpm_racer has the best price I've seen. $649 with free shipping. My little girl isn't quite big enough for the quad yet, but I'll keep highrmp_racer's url in my favorites for now.

Thanks,

Doug

I bought my son a Kasea 50 for his 4th b-day and it's been a great little bike. It's stone simple, one speed, electric start, one brake lever and a remote shut-off that I've tested to over 200ft. I would like to get a little more steam out of it, but other than that, I can see it lasting until he's about 6 or so. Plus even tho it's a two stroke, it uses straight gas due to oil-injection. All that for $1300 OTD, how could I go wrong. Anyone that knows how to unlock a little more power out of it, feel free to let me know.

sireland67- so what's the HP secret? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

Actually it is basic motor mods but it work real good.

There is two restictors in the bike:

Exhaust: which is explained in the owners manual.

And one they dont tell you about in the intake: :)

Look into it and you will see the same restricter as the exhaust.

Remove it. $free

Clean the intake area up where intake restrictor was removed sand blast

this area. Fill with JB weld. or TIG Weld.

Put # 70 main jet in carb $2.50

Remove the small jet over the pilot jet $ free

Raise the needle one notch . $free

Buy an FMF complete exhaust $143 from local suzuki shop.

When you order the pipe order a new exhust gasket because it does not come with the pipe $6.00

Mill 0.045 off the head, ($5.00 gasket)

you want the cranking compression around 160 psi. $free ( I done it at work) or $30 local machine shop.

Run High Test Gas

After mods little people smiles priceless

I bought my two year old a crf 50 last year with training wheels. He had been riding a little bicycle with training wheels for a couple of months

For the first month that he had it, I put my running shoes on and ran beside him ready to grab the brake, throttle, bike. We worked on throttle control, and braking. After a couple months of this, I let him loose on his own in my parents horse riding arena. By the end of last summer, we were doing trail rides on the farm. My son was literally riding a motorcycle before he could talk and while he was still in diapers.

Here he is in diapers

evanBike6-5-04-4.jpg