Sign in to follow this  

deceleration popping

I have cut my airbox and removed the backfire screen, put on a 250 R complete exhaust system and went with a 165 main and 42 pilot jet on my X. This woke it up quite a bit, but it backfires a lot when you let off the throttle. My friends said I should try moving the clip down one notch on the needle. In the service manual I can't find how to do this, any suggestions on how to find the instructions. Any other remedys to stop the backfiring?

usually means its running weak if it pops on deceleration,apparently a little popping is good,which sounds about right from the mods you have done.to get to the needle is a bit of a mission,tank off undo carb clamps,twist it round,take top of carb off(2 allen bolts)open throttle and you will see top of slide,theres another small allen bolt there,take that out,then you need the funny looking tool that came with the spares kit with a rubber bit on the end,push that on the needle and pull it out,should be able to use small pair pliers to get it out if you havent got the kit,hope this helps.

First I would check for exhaust leak. When no leak is located, then turn the fuel screw out a half a turn and see if popping starts to go away. Popping on decel with the throttle closed is a lean condition in the pilot circuit. Most likely the fuel screw will cure your problem. Pilot jet size should be fine.

Ditto on checking for exhaust leaks. I used to have popping on my WR but I noticed it stopped after I fiddled with my head pipe probably tigthening up the seal and a small leak.

Ok this makes it unanamous.Check for exhaust leak.I had the same problem and turned out to be a leak.Your settings seem to be ok.