Front sprocket removal?

Ok, it's raining today so I thought I would go ahead and change the oil, tighten some bolts and change out my chain and sprockets. So far everything is going well except the front sprocket removal. How do you get the nut loosened from the front sprocket. It is in gear but it is still moving once I torque down on it. Do I have to put the chain and rear wheel back on and then loosen it? ?

It worked well for me when my dad locked my rear end with a screwdriver. Just jam up the drivetrain by sticking a screwdriver in one of the REAR sprocket slots. That should give you what you need! Far from a bitch, might I add. Changing gears I take it?

Dan

Ok, it's raining today so I thought I would go ahead and change the oil, tighten some bolts and change out my chain and sprockets. So far everything is going well except the front sprocket removal. How do you get the nut loosened from the front sprocket. It is in gear but it is still moving once I torque down on it. Do I have to put the chain and rear wheel back on and then loosen it? ?
if you cranked on it hard while it was in gear there is a chance you messed the bushings up in the tranny..................... All this to sell it right??? Not just cause its raining!

hey rockchucker, the reason I am changing the sprockets and chain out is simply because it needs it, regardless of whether or not it is raining or if I am selling it. Since it is raining today, what better time to change them out? By the way, if you want to buy it I will sell it to you ?

Oh no thanks I was just jabben your ribs ??

After gaining insight from the guys here on TT, I put the rear wheel back on and used my rear brake to break the nut loose. I think next time I will start there and work my way from start to finish. As long as the weather is decent tomorrow I will see how I like the 15/47 combo for a commute. I am staying off of I-75 though, going to start using U.S. 41 so I won't get run over doing 55-60. By the way rockchucker, I thought about selling the DRZ but I am pretty sure I will be keeping it. Looking to upgrade the gas tank now that I got some $ back for taxes. ?

While my tire was off, rather than putting the tire back on, I took off the front sprocket by putting the axle on the swingarm, wrapping a rag over it, and then I slipped a screwdriver through the chain behind the axle. I used an electric impact wrench. Zipped right off like it was loose. I doubt I needed the impact wrench. I would never wrench against the tranny in gear. I took off my swingarm and cleaned and regreased the bearings and kept the chain intact. I torqued the nut to specs after putting everything back together.

After gaining insight from the guys here on TT, I put the rear wheel back on and used my rear brake to break the nut loose. I think next time I will start there and work my way from start to finish. As long as the weather is decent tomorrow I will see how I like the 15/47 combo for a commute. I am staying off of I-75 though, going to start using U.S. 41 so I won't get run over doing 55-60. By the way rockchucker, I thought about selling the DRZ but I am pretty sure I will be keeping it. Looking to upgrade the gas tank now that I got some $ back for taxes. ?

Yea I always want more bikes but this is one I will never sell. I love to give anyone that sells there drz some crap................its my job ?

Except Big Bob he's beyond help!

• 3 years later...
It worked well for me when my dad locked my rear end with a screwdriver. Just jam up the drivetrain by sticking a screwdriver in one of the REAR sprocket slots. That should give you what you need! Far from a bitch, might I add. Changing gears I take it?

Dan

Thanks Dan,

I had air with an impact wrench but my compressor didn't have enough power. I broke a craftsman ratchet and two other cheap ratchets because I didn't have a breaker bar. Your idea with wedging the rear sprocket saved me all kinds of trouble. I put a large half inch extention in the rear sprocket and used my last craftsman ratchet and a very large pipe and it finally broke loose. I had over 7000 miles on the original and yes the sprocket was loose and just came off by hand once the nut was off. Like everything else I should have done it a long time ago ?

Guns