Sign in to follow this  

just ordered

Just installed one in my YZF yesterday. Still using the the brass filter in the old WRF with no problems.

Make sure you clean from the inside, out. Keep anything on the outside of the filter from getting in the middle.

thanks and wat should i use just carb cleaner?

I have a small glass jar with a wide enough mouth that I can reach into it that I use for that job. The fact that it's a jar means it has a lid I can close it up with to keep it clean. I pour clean mineral spirits into it, hold the filter by the ends so as to keep contaminated solvent out of the interior of the filter, and swish it around a bit. I follow that with a little carb cleaner sprayed into the inside and out through the mesh. stubborn chips I knock loose with a toothbrush or a wooden toothpick. Then, because I can, I blow it off with compressed air at 45 PSI. You can just air dry after the carb cleaner for a coupl of minutes.

An alternative is to use hot soapy water. It works quite well, just observe the same cautions about getting the junk from the outside into the inside. Rinse it inside to out and either air dry thoroughly, or use carb cleaner (most of these contain ethyl alcohol, and will absorb water), and/or blow with air, or even an old hair dryer.

Pretty simple, really. The whole thing will add less than 10 minutes to the filter change routine. As far as damage, the stainless mesh is at least ten times as strong as brass, so unless you're just careless, it isn't a worry.

:)