Sign in to follow this  

What Was Honda Thinking!

What was Honda thinking when they didn't sign Ricky. I know the guy was hurt and they weren't sure how he'd come back, but still, how could they let him get away? Roger D. and the Suzuki camp come across tooking like geniuses. Honda made a poor decision, if they make such poor decisions with the signing of riders what other mistakes and errors of judgement will they make with their bikes!! That's kind of tongue in cheek! Ricky is so dominant it looks like he could be riding a Razor scooter and still win! He is so good he makes it look easy. I can appreciate the ability it takes to stay on top and be so dominant, how much motivation must he have. Ricky is hungrier on top than most are on the bottom, the guy is just amazing. I like buying year old bikes, I hate buying first year runs (think '02 crf450), it looks like I'll have to wait until '07 for the RMZ450! Honda said it had nothing to do with the knee injury, they should have paid him anything he wanted. If Suzuki could afford him, we know Honda could afford him!! Bad Move Honda!

Chad Reed was beating RC at the end of the 2003 SX season, RC was injured, sometimes riders don't comeback from injuries very quickly. Honda probably figured with CR and Bubba coming up RC had one more good year in him. Honda did want to sign him for 2005, just not 05 and 06.

What Honda didn't figure is RC is an animal and took the time off to get in better shape mentally and physically.

I see Tortelli riding the RMZ450 in the SX series, while some of the Yamaha YZ450F riders are back on YZ250's. Make me wonder if Tortelli is really being a R&D rider so the RMZ450 is totally sorted out by the outdoor season. Tortelli went from near dead stop to tripple at Indy, the 450 has some power! Go Sebastian!

From what i read in dirt rider, it had more to do with the bikes, RC felt he could not win on the honda, and was not happy with the R&D on the honda race bikes, he liked the program that suzuki has going. From what i saw at aneheim 3, he made a good switch, he totally dominated the field!

I'm not sure just how influential RC was in selling what he raced...the CRF450 was outselling the CR250R 2-3X while RC was racing the 250. People seem to love CRF's so much that it doesn't matter what pros are riding them, or how well they're doing.

Tortelli's job is to develop the RMZ450, so hopefully it'll be fine-tuned for RC to dominate on this summer.

After watching these races this year, I have to wonder if Windham would be running higher up if he was on the CR250R indoors instead of the 4-stroke. I think the tight supercross tracks are just too much for that bike over a whole race.

Ricky is just amazing. I'd love to see Bubba in there too but I think we saw him trying too hard to ride the pace RC runs when he ate it. 250's are a whole different ballgame than 125's. We'll see when he's healthy again if he can hang but my guess is RC is going to be very tough to beat.

"RC says he didn't think he could win on the new Hondas."

That sounds like a line from the Suzuki marketing department....

RH

I think you could put ricky on a 1990 rm 250 and he would still win. The guy is untouchable. I think with the exception of Anaheim #1 I don't think anyone else has even led a lap for every main/moto that he has been in.

Read McGrath's book. Honda has a reputation of having their head up their *** at certain key times in history. RC's contract was another one of those times. It also appears that Suzuki is putting more time into the RM than Honda is into the CR and Ricky feels the 2 stroke is the ultimate Supercross weapon. It's easier to win when you're on a good bike.

Bottom line, RC rocks; Honda doesn't, at least in bikes. Honda automotive stuff rocks also, IMO.

Brokenbronco I have no idea where you got that information from, certainly not Dirt Rider. Ive read almost every article on this topic. Honda nevercame through with a deal for RC, Suzuki had already made him a deal, but he was still waiting on Honda. He said he was ready to finish out his career with Honda, maybe a few more years. He was really hoping that Honda would come through. RC's contract was coming to an end with Honda and they still never came through for him on a new deal, so he made the tough decision and switched to Suzuki. Honda is probably kicking themselves right now!! As you can see, it doesn't really matter what bike RC is on, hes just such a highly talented rider. He'll be my hero no matter what...

I read somewhere, that Honda has a set amount of $$$$ they are willing too pay their riders. Suzuki came along and offered a shitload more $$$$$(plus his toot-lige to Millsaps) and a GOOD team. RC thought he would have a better chance on on the RM vs the CR. So, he figured, why not make more $$$$ and be on a bike that is better suited for him to win.

Don't know if it's true or not---but that is the story I have gotten.

W Honda made a poor decision, if they make such poor decisions with the signing of riders what other mistakes and errors of judgement will they make with their bikes!!

that makes no sense at all

how much money they could spend on rc to have him back has nothing to do with choices for their bikes man

"RC says he didn't think he could win on the new Hondas."

That sounds like a line from the Suzuki marketing department....

RH

Maybe not, head strong rider vs. head strong company. Was Honda forcing him race the thumper? Like Reed maybe he felt the 2 smoke is a better bike indoors and the thumper would be holding him back.

You have to admit that RC looks sooooooooooo frigg'n smooth on that new Suzi, he looks like he working half as hard as everyone else. When he switched to Honda he was struggling with the bike. With the Honda he was trying everything to get the bike to work, hell at one point he had the bars pull all the way back to get the bike to fit his riding style.

I think Honda thought they had Alessi in the bag as a back up for RC then he bailed on them leaving them empty handed. If it wasn't for the Amsoil team Red wouldn't have anyone on the podium.

hell at one point he had the bars pull all the way back to get the bike to fit his riding style..

did you ever try rolling them back a bit?

it feels awesome!!!

in all the older mx vids they would tell you to roll them ahead so your up and over the bike..i dont think it makes any diff..rolling thme back a bit gives me a more relaxed and controlled feeling

did you ever try rolling them back a bit?

it feels awesome!!!

in all the older mx vids they would tell you to roll them ahead so your up and over the bike..i dont think it makes any diff..rolling thme back a bit gives me a more relaxed and controlled feeling

Can't argue with that. :)

I saw or read something to the affect that Ricky was wanting a huge sallary that was real light on bonuses. Honda did not want to pay the sallary without him winning so they gave him a counter offer that was high on bonuses but far less on the sallary side. Suzuki then basically came in with the exact deal that Ricky wanted. Honda had a first right of refusal in his contract and they opted not to resign it because it was against there corperate ideals for somthing like that. They were not going to pay any rider that kind of sallary. So I think that is what went on. Just my 2 cents.