Sign in to follow this  

What was Honda Thinking?

What was Honda thinking when they didn't sign Ricky. I know the guy was hurt and they weren't sure how he'd come back, but still, how could they let him get away? Roger D. and the Suzuki camp come across tooking like geniuses. Honda made a poor decision, if they make such poor decisions with the signing of riders what other mistakes and errors of judgement will they make with their bikes!! That's kind of tongue in cheek! Ricky is so dominant it looks like he could be riding a Razor scooter and still win! He is so good he makes it look easy. I can appreciate the ability it takes to stay on top and be so dominant, how much motivation must he have. Ricky is hungrier on top than most are on the bottom, the guy is just amazing. I like buying year old bikes, I hate buying first year runs (think '02 crf450), it looks like I'll have to wait until '07 for the RMZ450! Honda said it had nothing to do with the knee injury, they should have paid him anything he wanted. If Suzuki could afford him, we know Honda could afford him!! Bad Move Honda!

From the article that I read, Honda tried hard to resign Ricky. Apparently, Ricky had already decided to go with Sushitzy and was just playing head games (or probing for the really big score) when he insinuated that Honda even had a chance to resign him. It just proves its the man, not the machine (Or, is the '04 CRF450 is better than the '05?).

Dude. You are right about Ricky's drive and determination. He has it and it shows on the track. I think the move to Suzuki was just business. Makes you wonder if we will see him on a Yamaha down the road. As for Honda, don't be concerned. They will be back with another number 1 rider. I don't think we will see the domination they had in the 80's. As for Honda and their motorcycles, please admit the following: Honda's craftsmanship, quality, attention to detail, and dependability are the best you can buy off the showroom floor. One may purchase blue, yellow, green, or orange for ergonomic, brand loyalty, or other reasons (because RC rides one!) but certainly not because the bike is better made. Honda knows this is what makes their product superior and and it sells. Please, don't question Honda's judgment in building their product. Why do you think it took so long for us to get a real 4 stroke motocrosser? The bike had to live up to Honda's expectations, because they are the highest in the industry. Ride Red!

I'm not bashing Honda for not re-signing Ricky because hindsight is 20/20...But, they got some of their own medicine in my opinion. They have had a long history of stealing the most aspiring riders from the limon crowd and utilizing their talent to boost their sales numbers and take championships, afterall that's how they got Ricky in the first place....legal theft from Team Green. Team Green sponsored Ricky in the years that he was learning his trade, turned pro, kicked some butt, and was grabbed by the Red Rider machine. Actually, I don't think this is a bad thing for the sport, I think it emphasizes what is said almost daily around these parts...its the rider not the machine (as long as they are fairly equal..As much as I would like to believe that Ricky could spank everyone on a Hodaka, NOT!)

P.S.: Oh you can bet Honda tried really hard to steal from Team Green for 05' again (Bubba), but for whatever reason it didn't happen.

I wonder this very same thing. As far as pride goes, yes...they were stupid.

As a business, is it a big deal???

Are we selling our Honda's and Yamaha's to buy RM's? I dont think we are.

Look at a normal bike shop. What do you see? Street bikes and quads. Dirt bikes are crammed back in the corner. Hopefully they are showing some 05's. Check the accessory section. Lots of leather, street crap, and a wall full of racks for the quads. Dirtbike stuff is again jammed in the corner.

In the grand scheme of things Honda would be better off using the 4 million per to sell more quads. Or the owner of Honda uses the money for liquor and prostituters.

Even though the CRF has not won a supercross this year, they are hard to find in my area. 05 RM 250's are discounted down to a 5600.00 hand written sign.

I think the factories race because they have to. I dont think the Ricky factor is going to sell 10% more RM's this year.

Honda seems to go brain dead from time to time,they did with Mc Grath,then he nearly won the following year on a very inferior suzuki,then with the Yamaha camp he won a couple more before RC came into his own,I also figured that honda would invoke the right to first refusal that is in most factory riders contracts,but didn't.they had a big brain fa$t,,now how things go full circle honda is giving Mc Grath bikes and parts.

As for Honda and their motorcycles, please admit the following: Honda's craftsmanship, quality, attention to detail, and dependability are the best you can buy off the showroom floor.

After all of the 450/250x problems? You're kidding right? :)

Even though the CRF has not won a supercross this year, they are hard to find in my area.

Kevin Windham won the supercross opener on his crf450. :)

Honda said it had nothing to do with the knee injury, they should have paid him anything he wanted. If Suzuki could afford him, we know Honda could afford him!! Bad Move Honda!

Also, Honda would not allow RC free reign in endorsement deals...they wanted the Honda logo to be in every RC endorsement deal, for free. They also were not willing to let RC do any other venture, including aftermarket design. He and Gossler have been planning that for a while.

HAHA some of you guys need to pull your head out of your a$$'s! This is the honda mentality at its finist here. Their are other bikes out there that can outperform hondas *gasp*. You cant tell me the CR 250 is a better SX bike than an RM 250- I dont recall ricky ever riding with as much dominace as he is now- lapping up to 7th and winning by over 20 seconds in SX race. Give credit where credit is due- mostly to Ricky obviously but you dont dominate like that on inferior equipment. And dont get me started on reliabilty of CRF's- I'v been down that road and although a great overall bike it was far from perfect reliability and attention to detail-wise.

I bet that after honda had both number 1 selling bikes in 125 and 250 that they felt they no longer needed the best athlete to promote it. It sells itself, so there fore they save money.

You all sound like a bunch of union whiners. Honda signs front of a very large check. Rider signs back of very large check. Honda calls the shots because Honda signs the front of the check. They are the leading sponser and the company that pays the bills. Just shut up and ride the damn bike. And guess what? If you win, we will write you more very large checks. I can respect and appreciate Honda's position with their riders, including Ricky Carmichael, pay them bonuses when they win. It's an INCENTIVE. :) I can't imagine hiring an employee and saying "I'll pay you the largest salary in my company's history, because of your past performance." The rational, not emotional logic would dictate a fair and albeit handsome salary and a bonus program for a better performance. It is the American way and that is what Honda proposed. It's fair, it benefits and protects both parties. Stop acting like a bunch of liberal victims and grow up. :) Honda stole my rider....where's my rattle and my Bingee??? Whaaeeh Whaaeeh Whaaeeh.

Oh Yeah, and BTW Ricky is dominating because he finally lost his baby fat and decided to get truly fit. He was scared $h_tless because the Bubba train was comming and Chad wupped his ass in the last six races of 2003. The Ricky from the 03 Supercross season couldn't beat Reed or Stewart this year even he was riding a RM 500 two stroke. Ricky is winning because Ricky is prepared, it's not the bike.

I did not even think of the mudcross. Yes, it did win. I wonder if that is why the bikes are so hard to find???

I read someware that, Instead of paying Ricky big bucks, they decided to flood the field with honda's.

RELAX FRANCIS! Sounds like someone needs a valium, or another chill pill!

It's always funny how these threads progress to a RANT!

When are people going to get it........ Its not the bike, its the rider!!!!!!

When you go to a dealership to get a bike, PICK A COLOR! All the pikes are good. Some might be better than others. The point of motocross bikes to people are what they can go fast on. For Rickey It is any color. For me Its Honda because I like the way the frame looks. Does this mean that I am faster on It, No.......... Also I am going to let out a little secrect about aftermarket parts, WASTE(99%). I could go on for hours about this. You want to go faster ride faster, No color is faster than the other.........

Getting back on the topic... It's not like Honda not to buy the best rider.. True, it's all about money.... If there's one manufacturer that's got tons of it it's Honda and I'm surprised that they didn't sign Bubba or Carmichael. When Carmichael signed with Honda people turned their backs on him calling him a traitor because he'd been riding with Kawi for so long. After watching the Indy Supercross, Suzuki looks like the brand to buy from a consumers prospective. Looks like Suzuki is on the rebound with Carmichael,Milsaps and the new RMZ450. I agree with the topic of the thread, Honda blew it... But little Ricky is riding like he's got something to prove.. He does.....

IMHO Honda decided to take a year or two off and save the salary money - they already are selling all of 4-stroke MXer and Off Road bikes they build, and that is the end game for them: more profitable than 2 strokes, more in line with the governments legislative direction and more parts to sell.

When the build something new and need to win to make it appear that that new bike is the best thing ever made, they will get the best rider again.

I agree with the others that all of the brands make great stuff these days and if you buy anyone of them and do some tuning and add a few aftermarket parts, you are in the game - it is the rider that matters as the final margin to win.

The same exact thing happened in MotoGP.

Honda lost Valentino Rossi, probably the best rider of all time

in road racing.

Honda gave him up and lost the championship to Yama.

Honda gave up RC in the SX/MX world. Now they will loose the championship.

Don't count Honda out, they will buy someone.

I won't doubt Bubba going to Honda in a couple years.

History repeats.

Ricky starts Green and goes Red

Bubba starts Green and goes Red