Sign in to follow this  

Swingarm bearings shot...

Hi All, I've had the swingarm off so I can soak my chain, and thought I'd do the bearings whilst im at it. Unfortunatly it looks like they've *never* been done before (01 WR!!! :) ). The rollers and sleeve in the relay arm are very rusty (cleaned and greased them up as good as possible), and the connecting rod is siezed solid. So, new bearings and seals on order, but can anyone explain the easy way of removing the old ones?

can anyone explain the easy way of removing the old ones?

hammer; chisel; swing. repeat as necessary.

let this be a lesson children. :)

ps: since i think we lost the last batch of posts when the DB crashed... you don't need to soak an X-ring or O-ring chain.

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

You need a decently large C-Clamp and some sockets. Find a socket just slightly smaller than the bearing and a deep socket large enough for the bearing to slip into easily. Set it up with the large socket on one side of the bearing and the small socket on the other side. Use the C-Clamp to press the bearing through into the middle of the large socket. You can press many bearing back in with the small socket and C-Clamp. When you install the new bearing make sure you press against the flat side of the bearing, not the rounded side or you can damage the bearing.