Sign in to follow this  

400 exc vs 400 sxc.which to buy?

looking to purchase a used ktm. i ride mostly wood trails and maybe some on road riding. which bike is better? mxc is already street legal and i found a nice 2000 model at a good price. on the other hand, the exc 400 has electric start. is the mxc 400 a pain to kickstart? i am a rider with average skills who needs advice from you ktm guys.help! :)

Are you talking about the EXC vs the MXC, or the EXC vs the SXC?

Both the EXC and the MXC are electric start. I don't think the SXC has electric start. SXC 400 was an older model doesn't compare the EXC or MXC, I wouldn't bother with the SXC.

The EXC models have wide ratio gear boxes, a lower first and a taller 6th. The MXC's have a close ratio gear box, taller first, shorter 6th. This means the EXC can go slower in first, and faster in 6th, but the gap between the gears is a bit more on the EXC vs the MXC.

Both do great as a woods bike, but I would lean towards the EXC for more all around use.

The EXC's also come with lights, the MXC's do not.

MXC has a larger tank, EXC tank is smaller, most people prefer the EXC tank, but the MXC tank will take you further. Seat might be slightly different to accommodate the dif tanks, but not sure on that.

Otherwise, they are exactly the same bikes, frame, motor, suspension. Great bikes.

Also lots of good info over on KTMtalk.com.

Good luck. -Ed

Like Woods said, which bikes are you talking about? The MXC, EXC, or SXC?

I used to own the SXC and I can tell you from my experience that the bike started and ran perfectly, handled in a straight line well, and the motor was like driving a tractor, you could hardly stall it. It did NOT like to turn and was way to tall for me. Another thing to considure, there is almost no aftermarket parts for the bike as it was only built for one year THBOMK.

The EXC would be a better choice IMHO.