Sign in to follow this  

Which bike to buy?

I am buying a new bike this season, and am thinking about a DRZ-400 or a WR-450. My first Bike was an Xr250. I liked the riding experience, but I had to make it loud to be as fast as I wanted. I bought a WR-250f after that. I liked the riding experience, although it is a little harsh for my riding style, especially since I ride all east coast woods. I need a bike that will be fast and quiet at the same time; I have heard that this is something that the DRZ can do. I am curious to know what DRZ owners think about the power/noise intersection and how the bike is in the woods. Most of the riding I do is 3rd gear in the woods, between 15 and 35 MPH. Thanks.

I couldn't be happier with my DR-Z400 with stock exhaust. I've done some mods as suggested by Burned, Bronco and others that have really helped performance but it is still quiet. In my opinion it is an all-around quality bike for the money...you'll need to make a few changes...and it would be great for the riding you describe. And, if you need to go down the street or highway it can do that, too. I ride along the Rocky Mountain Front here in northern Montana and visit some really wild, remote areas, respecting all laws pertaining to ORV's, and that bike has never let me down yet. And, I'm mostly riding by myself. 'Course I take pretty good care of her, too. Good luck! :)

If you will be using it for offroad only.... Try and get an E model (or 03 leftover Kawasaki KLX400R clone) or a leftover 03 kick-start only DRZ400 if you would like it to be a bit lighter.....

The S (street model) has some features that limit its performance.

The bikes listed above have.... Better cams, slightly higher compression ratio, higher rev limit, FCR39 Carb, Larger exhaust headpipe diameter.

The power stock after popping off the airbox snorkel and changing the main jet in the carb is awesome and its very very quiet. :)

Also make sure if you get a new E model that it isn't an 04 and up California E model. They seem to find thier way into other states and have many of the performance degraded parts that the S has. Check to make sure it has the KEIHIN carb. That is the easy giveaway.

The DRZ sounds like the bike you are looking for and is loads of fun. :)

Thank You Thank You. All of the posts were helpful. How do any of you guys feel about the DRZ's response to agressive riding? I have a suspision that the DRZ will handle and feel like an intersection between an XR and a WR. I would definatley get an E model, as I will not be plating it. Also how do you guys feel about the DRZ's reliability and ease of maintainance. Hooray for TT.

:) I love my DRZ and do a lot of trail riding, like Nate said if you don't need to plate the bike get the E, in addition to the carb it comes with the 14/47 gearing and knobbies. The stock gearing on the S is a little too high for the the technical stuff in the woods, and the trailwings (Deathwings) while good on the street really do not work that well off road. Most riders who spend a lot of time off road change the gearing on the S and swap out the tires for something a little more aggressive off road. Other than a few inexpensive protective mods like case savers, Rad guards, and a skid plate. The bike is ready to go. It has been very reliable and a lot of fun as well, I'm glad I bought mine :) .

Thank You Thank You. All of the posts were helpful. How do any of you guys feel about the DRZ's response to agressive riding? I have a suspision that the DRZ will handle and feel like an intersection between an XR and a WR. I would definatley get an E model, as I will not be plating it. Also how do you guys feel about the DRZ's reliability and ease of maintainance. Hooray for TT.

Power wise its just as you thought between xr400 and a wr450, now with cams and a 440 kit the drz will out run a stock wr450, but it will do it smooooooth!! The bike is real easy to work on, ( I'm a wood worker and manage drz stuff with ease ...with the help of TT of course) and I just put about 2000 miles in the last 6 mo of hard riding, I change my oil alot and have relitively no problems. 3 years on original battery and it fires right up every weekend! :) The bike is what you are looking for.

Get the E model, I had an xr 400 before my DRZ Emodel. This is the best bike I have ever owned. More power than an xr and has an electric leg. It has a lot of that xr feel you are looking for, just does everything much better. good luck. :)

I believe the reliability is excellent...especially if you take care of the bike just a little bit. I just finished a complete maintenance inspection. About all that was left was the engine in the frame. Swing arm, pivot, shock, forks, wheels, brakes inspected, greased, fluids changed and new seals installed. Head-set, too. Nothing wrong other than needing a little grease and cleaning. Checked valve clearance and re-shimmed at 5000+ miles. There are guys on this site with 25,000 miles on DR-Z400's and one guy last week from Malaysia ? had 99,000 kilometers on a 2000S and wanted to know how to re-set the odometer! And, you can't beat TT! Lots of good folks here that will help with anything. I try to support the TT Store as well. Good luck...you can't go wrong with the DR-Z. :)

For quiet bikes, now is a pretty good time to be looking.

I would think that the stock WR should be pretty good, but as you stated, it may be a little too aggressive of a bike.

You might also look at the Honda 250X. Quiet and light.

The DRZ will always be a little heavy. But it is an amazingly fun bike.

I have the "S" with many mods, including supermoto, and I could ride this bike all day. The E should be even better, with lighter weight.

I also have a CRF450 that i love, but as you can tell from the above, I do not love it enough for it to be my only bike. And there are times that I prefer the DRZ...mostly when I know the rides will be longer in nature, or scenic...

MW

Just judging from where you are coming from you should get a DRZ e model and plate it. Ithink this is still allowed in Washington. You have some awesome mountain trails there and you will need the extra umph the E has over the S. You will once the carb is dialed for a pipe that really lets it breathe, have a true mountain goat. I have never had any trouble at all with an e in the woods. They carve plenty sharp in my hands. I can't speak for everyone but I think they are a great trail machine. Maybe the best all around bike ever made. prairiedawg :):):p

if ya ride is more of the "relax" kinda ride

the DRZ suit ya best

unless ya a motohead, then ya need a screaming machine.

:)