Sign in to follow this  

Fixing lowered forks to stock???

I am posting this for a friend that I ride with that bought an 01 YZF250. The previous owner had the forks lowered or something because it sits at 32" from the top of the upper clamp to the center of the axle on the wheel. My 01 WR426 sits at 37" as does another friends 02 250. This is with the bike on a stand and the front hanging down as low as it will go. We think they changed the fork springs but there appears to be nothing different out back.

The bike is visably lower than ours and he is 6'5" tall so this isnt going to work for him. They would be perfect for a 5'5" tall person. By the way he weighs about 200 lb. though I dont know what difference this makes since the bike is on a stand.

He is thinking about buying a set of forks off ebay for $280.00.

This is a woods bike and will never see a track as long as he owns it.

My real question is: Can he raise the bike back up for less? How much work are we talking about? Where does he get the parts for the change?

Please help so he doesnt waste time/money changing stuff for nothing.

Taking a second look at the bike it looks sorta like a Motard setup. Low in front and looks stock out back. The only thing out back that I see different from my bike is the rear frame is bare aluminum looking. Is that factory? I thought it might be a YZ thing since the only other bike I have close to look at is another WR & it is like mine.

What do you think?

Maybe someone close will want to swap him?

He lives about 20 minutes from Downtown St.Louis Missouri. :)

Thanks, Eric

The OEM rear subframe on the 2001 YZF250 is aluminum, so it sounds like the one you are describing is stock. The stock seat height should be around 39.3". The forks have 2 hash marks at the top of each outer tube. To increase the fork height, if it has been lowered, loosen both fork braces/triple clamps and raise each side so that the last hash mark (closest to the fork cap) is flush with the top of the top triple clamp. If the seat height is still not 39.3" then you may be looking at after market forks that were placed on it. The OEM forks are 46mm Kayaba's with 11.8" of travel. The fork springs should have no bearing on fork height.

Good luck :)

The forks are pulled to the tip top of the tripple trees. There are no marks above the trpple tree that can be seen. I didnt measure seat height since it was on a stand but it isnt as tall as mine by at least 2 inches.

Seems like they had to change the rear or it would look weird. I wonder what will happen when he puts factory forks back on there. 5" taller

I am getting a picture in my mind of the OC choppers crew going to dirt bike riding. LOL!!! hahahaha!! :)

Maybe it doesnt work that way, I dont know about these bikes. :)

Hopefully it will go back to stock without any major problems.

Thanks, Eric