Sign in to follow this  

JD Kit tips for 05 TE510

G'day JD,

To start off with, your kit made a big improvement to the overall performance of my new bike. It now starts when cold and hot perfectly. It runs cleaner when riding in the tight stuff and responds well to sudden throttle changes.

To give some back ground: I ride mostly at sea level or at most 1000 feet. I am currently running the standard setting of Red needle at clip 5, 175 Main, 45 pilot, air screw at 1.5 out. What I have noticed is at mid-rev throttle openings the engine feels flat initially and then springs to life. Its not a flat spot as such but it just doesn't feel response crispy.

Not understanding how bikes will respond to jetting changes, I thought that your the man ! Where do I start?

Cheers

Bru.

There are several suggestions-

1)Try lowering the main jet a step to a #172

2)turn the idle mixture inwards to 1 1/4 turns

If those changes don't seem enough, try clip position #4.

Thanks,

James

There are several suggestions-

1)Try lowering the main jet a step to a #172

2)turn the idle mixture inwards to 1 1/4 turns

If those changes don't seem enough, try clip position #4.

Thanks,

James

Hi JD,

This is where I'm at: I tried your suggestions above without much noticeable difference. I'm back to the original JD spec's now. I will change my description of the problem as I didn't explain it right.

My issue is from idle to about 1/8th throttle. When I ride choppy terrain when I'm on & off the throttle the engine fuels up like you would expect with a high float level. The float level looks to be right (which is float level with the carb body when held on an 45 degree angle). It doesn't bubble fuel out the vent either.

Sometimes when negotiating down rocky hills and I grab some throttle to lift the front over obstacles, it has occasionally backfired and stalls.

If I hold the throttle just off idle (free rev), it doesn't sound clean. This gets worse the more I richen the pilot screw.

The accel pump is very long (7 seconds). Could this be producing a too rich situation of idle?

Cheers

7 Seconds?? That is far longer than most KTM's have, which is usually about 3 seconds.

I still think it's rich and the needle needs to be set at 1 clip position leaner with fuel screw at 1 to 1 1/4 turns.

**The float level may actually be rising if the terrain is extremely choppy.

The next choice would be to get a Honda diaphram to reduce the pump flow down to about 1 second. The cost is not too much and the part number is 16021-MEB-771 . It's from the '03-'04 CRF450R.

Thanks,

James

7 Seconds?? That is far longer than most KTM's have, which is usually about 3 seconds.

I still think it's rich and the needle needs to be set at 1 clip position leaner with fuel screw at 1 to 1 1/4 turns.

**The float level may actually be rising if the terrain is extremely choppy.

The next choice would be to get a Honda diaphram to reduce the pump flow down to about 1 second. The cost is not too much and the part number is 16021-MEB-771 . It's from the '03-'04 CRF450R.

Thanks,

James

Thanks for the quick responce.

Yer, 7 seconds is a record from my experience. I have heard of another TE450 having 6 seconds.

I was in the process of carrying out the BK Mod. Is the Honda Diaphram a better option?

I'm determined to get this bike running perfect :)

My thought is if your techy enough to dril & tap a hole, go to the store and buy a stop screw and either a jamb nut or spring then go the BK mod route, if not the Honda diaphram is a great option.

My thought is if your techy enough to dril & tap a hole, go to the store and buy a stop screw and either a jamb nut or spring then go the BK mod route, if not the Honda diaphram is a great option.

Cheers Dave.

I've been keeping a close eye on feedback with regards to the BK mod's effect on the Huskies before I attempted doing my 510. A couple of guys have posted that after doing the BK Mod on 450's they had to increase the duration up to over three seconds from the traditional one second due to flat spotting.

Other comments have been made that due to the larger venturi size of the FCR's used on the Huskies, the air velocity is slower with the initial throttle opening fuel flow being supplemented by the AC pump (sounds logical). This is why the AC squirt is so long from the factory.

I will shorten the duration on my bike and will definately post the results on TT.

Have you done the BK mod to your bike?

Hi Y'all,

I think I have the beast sorted.

42 pilot

MS @ 2 turns out.

main at 175

Red JD needle at clip 4.

Float at about 1mm below level (leaner).

Did the BK mod and first set at 3.5 sec, then at 2 sec, then at 1 sec.

At 1 sec it occasionally flat spotted mainly after a heavy decel then a hard accel.

At 2 sec it feels good with crisp responce everywhere. Theres no noticeable performance difference between the above settings but is better than the standard 6-7 seconds squirt I had.

These spec's are used from sea level up to 900 metres and so far at temps between 12 - 35 degrees C.

A big thankyou to all the TT'rs that have supplied their FCR knowledge.

Lets go riding :naughty: