Sign in to follow this  

is pink wire mod worth it?

done the air box and jettin, and pondering the pink wire. in my mind another 1000 rpm aint worth it. is there something i am missing? does it make a difference throught out the range? thanks

Originally I thought it felt like it had a little different curve. Felt a little more in the midrange. But I'm not really sure. Might have been wishful thinking. As far as the higher rev limit, I don't rev mine out enough to notice the 1000 rpm gain.

I put a toggle switch on mine inside the airbox. If I let someone else ride my bike, I put it to the normal position.

done the air box and jettin, and pondering the pink wire. in my mind another 1000 rpm aint worth it. is there something i am missing? does it make a difference throught out the range? thanks

I can say emphatically "yes". I did the CCC mods in stages with the pink wire saved for very last. With all the other mods in place, the bike felt pretty good, but I could tell it was missing something compared to the R. Then I did the pink wire. BINGO! It's still not completely equal to the R, but the pink wire made a REAL difference. I plan to experiment with an R flywheel, etc. to see if I can pick up the small remaining difference.

I have no clue what it will do without all the other CCC mods, but I wouldn't suggest doing the pink wire without a cam change, you might get valve float.

dyno results show the pink wire will increase your overall rpm's, however, the power drops off well before the pink wire takes effect, thus eliminating the need to disconnect it.... if you buy an X, and do all this stuff to it, why dont you just buy an R ??? Too old to kick start it, and do alot of night riding???? :)

I agree with MXONLY on this one. Pink wire mod only helps if you install ALL the Mod parts to make it like an "R" model.Even then keep in mind on the R model peak HP is at 11 grand. If then why does one not buy the R instead of the X. It takes less $ to woods out an R then to "soup up " an X.

See you Tuesday MXonly ! :) KLX

I agree with MXONLY on this one. Pink wire mod only helps if you install ALL the Mod parts to make it like an "R" model.Even then keep in mind on the R model peak HP is at 11 grand. If then why does one not buy the R instead of the X. It takes less $ to woods out an R then to "soup up " an X.

See you Tuesday MXonly ! :) KLX

Skipin8r, could not have replied any better. :D

KLX.

X and R is a tough call.... For the off road racer the R suspension is a tad stiff on springs (both) but the X is unbalanced needing a rear update. The Pink wire mod is welcomed by old 125 riders who like to carry some over rev. I would not do the pink wire mod to an X, IMO the X cam design stretches the springs harmonics more than an R cam and the pink wire will just add fuel to that fire that have a burnt a few X owners.

Personally we chose an X because of Enduros, Spark arrester, working lamps, 18" wheel and the bike was tweeked by Chris Smith of WER :p . The only major mods that are unique we did are carve up the air box, remove the screen, R cam, stiffer rear spring and cut the pink wire. If we bought an R model we would have spent bucks on springs, adding lights and an 18" rear wheel (tire choices seem better IMO). So no big deal to us...

Best would be to own both with a few tweeks... :)

mxonly, let me guess-you also belong to pirate 4x4 where folks commonly toss out smartassed answers of no value. other guys, thanks for the replies.

I did my mods one at a time also, testing each one and saving the pink wire for last. I have no R parts on the bike, but have opened the air box and rejetted. The exhaust is stock.

Removing the pink wire gave a major increase in torque across the board. What gives with that? Did I dream it (no) or maybe the discussed dyno tests are too specific to a certain setup? - I generally don't rev above 8-9K rpm.

On my cam-modified Yamaha WR426 I ran the grey wire connected for 3 years - only recently I removed it. The power changed from very strong low-mid with early sign-off to a more progressive, flatter build to higher rpm's - that bike is rarely revved over 7-8K.

I have to believe that the Honda, like the Yamaha, undergoes an ignition curve-power change that is somewhat dependent upon the specific jetting setup also, meaning bikes with slightly different jettings might realize different levels of benefit from the wire removal.

That's my seat-of-the-pants impression anyway.

BTW, the mods without R parts really increase the hit off idle and gives good torque up to 7-8K. I have ridden the full CCC moded X's with aftermarket pipes and for tight enduro type work I prefer the stock pipe and cam. Concerns about over-rev are not warranted IMO, as most experienced riders will feel the power die off and shift way before valve float.