Sign in to follow this  

450 or 510?

I am thinking about the Husqvarna after reading all the good reviews in here. I was ready to get a 450 EXC until I rode one yesterday. I don't really care for the ergonomics, and the front end felt real heavy, which was what I didn't like when I owned a 520 EXC.

Any advice on going with a 450 or 510? I mostly ride singletrack, the nastier the better. I am 6'2", and 220 lbs. I love my 380 but may add a bike that is comfortable riding from my house down 10 miles of pavement to get to the trails. I am assuming you can get this plated in Washington.

Any dealer recommendations for the northwest?

Thanks,

Roy

you're a big guy. The 510 power is manageable. The 510 is the 450 motor with a longer stroke so the 510 has a better bottom end I was told......but both bikes are different feel then that KTM EXC tracktor ( meant as a compliment) long stoke design.....the huskys are more racey feeling. does that make sense? the power is smooth. that tranny and gearing on my bike the 05 -TE510 could not possibly be more perfect for woods riding......IMHO. it is there for you in tight slop n rocks and roots and it is there for you as you open it up.

the TE-510 has a bit more throttle response and active but smooth POWER. then the WRF 450 I know and I suspect is true of KTM 450 EXC too. The 510 is more of a tiger then the 04 TE-450 I rode...but its way cool too not so much you can't handle it. Its not a TIGER more then the 450 just some Tigger more get it? the 510 Power is there if ya want it.

I just switched rides with a 05 WRF 450 rider today...the WRF is nice very capable bike, but its missing a response and power compared with my 510...the WRF rider agreed.

The 04 TE-450 I rode has the same power delivery as my 510. My bike just has some more....not really bunches more just more.

the husky bikes TURN and TURN and TURN. the front end is stuck to the ground - so stable...... then again when you approach a set of large roots...... use to be I built momentum...now with the 510 I just blip the trottle and the front end lifts up and the bike pops right over slow or at speed ( well thats a relative term in my skill level. )

the only thing is BUDGET for suspension work. The Marzocchi forks are on Gas Gas too. some Gas gas riders told me those forks on both the husky and the Gasgas allwasy come too harsh...stiff......like for an MX bike. I have softened them up with the clickers now they don't talk back on rocks they float over...so that is good...... That WRF I rode has plush suspension...... I want to see my suspension get more plush...... I suspect some suspension gurus like LTracing in washington can make the bike just right.

again these are my opinions.....but some of the themes I have xpressed I think you will hear simliar stuff out there......

I am thinking about the Husqvarna after reading all the good reviews in here. I was ready to get a 450 EXC until I rode one yesterday. I don't really care for the ergonomics, and the front end felt real heavy, which was what I didn't like when I owned a 520 EXC.

Any advice on going with a 450 or 510? I mostly ride singletrack, the nastier the better. I am 6'2", and 220 lbs. I love my 380 but may add a bike that is comfortable riding from my house down 10 miles of pavement to get to the trails. I am assuming you can get this plated in Washington.

Any dealer recommendations for the northwest?

Thanks,

Roy

I'm thinking about making the switch to a Husqvarna also. My current ride is a ktm 300 exc, the best bike I have ever owned so far! I thought about the four-stroke exc's too, but want to get something different than orange, everyone is on one now! I plan on going to Tasky's demo day this spring to try out the 450 and 510, you should go if you don't have one by then! :)

I too have been pondering on the TE 510. I would not give up my two strokes to do so. Currently ride an 01' KTM 380 EXC and a 97' Honda CR 500. I had a negative experience with a YZF400 a few years back and have been gun shy of four strokes ever since.

The new Huskys are alluring for sure. When and where is this Tasky's demo day?

Thanks for the replys guys. Yeah, I'd like to know where Tasky's is also. The only dealers near me are Yakima, Post Falls Idaho, or Mt. Vernon WA. I love the 380, best bike i have owned, I will probably keep it. I had 2 YZ400's, and they didn't feel heavy in the front like the 450 EXC or the 520. I was riding in the sand this weekend in Mattawa, and the 450 just seemed to plow throught the sand whoops. I used to ride the 400 all the time in the dunes with no worries.

I think I am leaning towards the 450, I'm thinking the 510 may have more engine braking, and that seems to wear you out on the trails. :)

Roy

I read that Dirt bike article that mentioned "lots of engine braking" in the lows column too. I guess because of that article on my first break in ride I noticed the engine braking more. I do not notice it now after a weekend of riding. But I am coming from a DR-Z400S which I rode all dirt with and that bike is a full 40 lbs heavier then my new bike so my TE-510 feels so light and play like to me...engine braking mingin braking who cares it don't faze me at all.

However, you ride two strokes and you know they have no engine braking....so maybe to ease your transition the TE-450 is better for you. I think a rekluse clutch will reduce engine braking on 4 strokes? I know they work good for riding, but never thought about the engine braking because I like 4 stroke engine braking as I get lazy sometimes and use the engine brake as my moderating control...... whereas with a 2 stroke you are on the gas or on the brake.......that can actually be more tiring all day, then a 4 stroke were you can roll on and off the throttlle to control your ride more .or you can accererate and brake too if your racing it.

hope that helps some. Bottom line...... a heavy feeling bike with engine brak tends to dive the front end down........the TE-510 and TE-450 are Light, just look at the dry claimed weights on husky........dont belive them then well i won a te-510 and its light in my book, but you are coming from a 2 stroke.

after 2 days i dont feel the 510 engine brake at al its integrated into my body now as i get seat time on my bike. the 450 is sweet tOO and will have a lesser engine brake true then my 510.

mlyamkaw,

We may have a different concept of front end heaviness. My concept is that on my YZF it always felt I was driving through everything as opposed to the feeling of skipping over everything with my 380.

I don't recall of ever having my YZF in sand so can't comment.

I have never thought of engine braking (or lack thereof) as a reason not to buy a bike. It is just something you get used to on each bike. Never noticed it on my YZF until I bought the 380. Then I noticed real quick by over shooting a few corners. I became a fast learner. Like MorningRider said it just becomes part of riding the bike and you don't even notice it after a few rides.

Personally I would only consider the 510 due to the elevations I ride at (5-11K Feet ASL). When you get to 11K feet you want some cubes!

MorningrRider,

I was in Danville visiting my Bro. since Thrusday. We went to Motoxotica on Friday hoping to see your bike but alas you had already picked it up. Did see the 450 out front though.

Sounds like you are enjoying your new ride. You gotta love that European iron. I really notice a difference in quality when I work on my KTM as opposed to my Honda CR500. The Huskies look like they are put together even nicer than the KTM's.

Yeah, I never thought of engine braking before buying the 520, but that thing flat wore me out. I couldn't ride it near as fast as my 380, or the 300 before that. It sure was fun on the wide open spaces though. It had way more flywheel effect than the YZ, I'm hoping the Husky doesn't have much either.

I am thinking about the Rekluse clutch also, but would have to have a hand brake, I don't like the idea of the freewheeling if you stall it on a steep hill. :)

on last thought: When I was shopping bikes, a fellow TTer who knows my skills and ride areas was aware I was looking at the TE-510. He was unsure of the husky line and was pointing me to KTM, but more important and relavant, he said Go for the KTM 400 EXC....it is a large bore/ short stoke design, unlike the 450 and 525 EXC bikes which have the narrow bore and deep long stroke. Thats when I posted a Bore X stroke post here and one of the guys I think it was dave hopkins posted the Bore x stroke ratios for five major bikes, specifically showing how Husky was on the front end of this Large bore 4 stroke "revolution" as he called it.

sure enough the TE-450 had the highest ratio of bore to stroke while the 510 with it's longer stroke but still starting with a large bore of the 450 was high up the list too.......far down the list was the KTM 450 and 525 exc bikes.....Dave was correct in saying that long stroke of the KTM helps give them that deep tractor mud bog power down low what they are known for and what you want you think you want in an EXC bike right....but what that other TTer was telling me was since Im an older rider he was convinced the 525 KTM EXC would TIRE me out.....with its inertia and power feeling.........so he wanted me into a short stroke higher reving engine the KTM 400 EXC, its ratio was pretty good near the TE-510 though

SO I got both best worlds - A 500cc + power with a large bore short stroke non-tiring motor and bike performance design..........with the TE-510. I can assure it dont tire me one bit. Now that is all my personal bore x stroke thoughts, but again a lot of it holds water. The TE-450 is known as a more reving engine more fun factor one guy called it, while the KTM EXC bikes are more workhorse?

so once again, sounds like the TE-450 hits the spot for you. Search that post title "Bore x Stroke" here in the husky forum for that thread.

As you may know I have a TE450 with a rekluse I ride all over WA and OR in tight stuff. Love it. I think the 450 might be better for the tight stuff than the 510 as it is more manageable. Many guys have gone from KTM's to the Huskys and never look back. The new Huskys are very hard to beat. Call Mike or Jeff at Tasky's (Husky NW) great guys and will hook you up. You will not be sorry you got one. :)

Yeah, I never thought of engine braking before buying the 520, but that thing flat wore me out. I couldn't ride it near as fast as my 380, or the 300 before that. It sure was fun on the wide open spaces though. It had way more flywheel effect than the YZ, I'm hoping the Husky doesn't have much either.

I am thinking about the Rekluse clutch also, but would have to have a hand brake, I don't like the idea of the freewheeling if you stall it on a steep hill. :)

I have the Rekluse clutch on my 04 ktm 300. At first I didn't like it, but then I got used to the way it works. Once I got familiar with it, unsuccessful hillclimbs were no longer a problem. I would like to have the bar mounted brake, but seem to do fine without it.
The new Huskys are alluring for sure. When and where is this Tasky's demo day?
Here is the link to Tasky's website. They have one of two shops in our area that's owned and operated by hardcore off-road enthusiasts! The owner has been riding most of his life and it shows when you visit his store or ask him questions about bikes! Their store is in Everett, about thirty minutes North of Seattle.

Tasky's Metric Cycle

Thanks,

I didn't find Tasky's listed on the Husqvarna web site. I get to Seattle every couple of weeks, I'll go check them out. Would love to try one before making the plunge.

Is getting parts a problem? With the KTM, there are a ton of places to order parts online, plus KTMTALK.com is a great resource.

Morningrider, the 400 EXC was what I was looking for, but they are hard to find in these parts.

Thanks for all the responses, I think I would lean more towards the 450. Got to find one to look at first...

Roy

some guys here can better answer the parts question. My take is:

The Bike is quality and parts don't break on their own. Having a dealer who stocks parts will call husky usa regularly to chase parts for you if needed is important in my book. So find a good dealer in your area. The web is good too in that you can contact other dealers as well for parts. I remember when KTM was known as parts dry also. The strongest case I liked to read that Cycle news interview of the MV Agusta ( husky parent co.) CEO that husky with the proton finanacing is strong and production of bikes is growing.

But you ask in my view a key question about your pending Husky choice. Where is a dealer who really supports the husky line near you and when you meet him do you feel he's a good dealer who will be there for you and waht about parts availablilty and waits. I did my research and my dealer - Dan at MotoXotica in Vacaville, only 45 minutes drive from my house has a good reputation and comes highly recommedned by other husky owners. that fact really was 50% of my husky purchase choice.

regarding parts......ask me in two years.....but the other guys here can help answer that.

your next question is aftermarket MODs - this is the best source I have found for the armor mods - roosterperformance.com

http://www.roosterperformance.com/

Tasky's is also known as Husqvarna Northwest and Jeff's partner in crime has been my Husky go to guy for over ten years. They are top notch.

Greg

Thanks,

I didn't find Tasky's listed on the Husqvarna web site. I get to Seattle every couple of weeks, I'll go check them out. Would love to try one before making the plunge.

Roy

The Husky web site knows about Husky NW which was in Mt Vernon, Taskys is a spinoff or relocation of the same place. Good guys, I bought my 450 there in November after 4 years on Orange (33 years on Husky before that).

The carb jetting is screwed up, plan on a JD kit, other than that it is ready to ride. I messed with Orange full time for those year and never got it to turn 1/2 as well as the Husky, suspention is fine by me outa the box, some may want to personalize but that is the cae on any bike.

I have long been a fan of big bore short stroke engines as getting rid of the gyro effect of a huge crank like KTM has makes the bike feel like a 2 stroke, take 1/2 of the energy to ride that the KTM does.

How was Mattawa?? I wana get there soon but look like I am headed for back surgery first.

Just thought i would add some wood to the fire...

I've only had my 510 for a few weeks-and its still in the break-in period...so really i dont know what all it will do...but i have had glimpses of it...

After some MX track time, a 260 mile Baja Pre-run and an hour of single track play riding---one thing is clear. This bike is as close to being an 'everything' bike as they come.

It can win MX, it can win enduros, it can win in baja, it can single track with the best of em, and it can be play ridin all day long with confidence and a huge grin, not to mention the bonus oohhs and ahhhs that ya hear every time ya park it...

The fit and finish on the bike is better than any bike i've owned.(30+ bikes) The components are better than any other stock bike--with the possible exception of TM. The 510's power is so fun, so smooth, so calm, that ya might not even realize how fast yer going...push it and you will get a hit-not a CR500--but similar to a XR650 baja race bike (i have one)-but its also got the torque to ride in a taller gear and tractor thru the nastiest stuff. Definatly more motor than the EXC's.

If you are tired of your heavy XR650, want to dual sport a bit more than your EXC200 can handle, or just like to own quality...consider the Husky. After taking a close look at it, comparing the bike to the EXC450/525, WR450, and the 450X...you will see its both the best value, and the best bike in the class.

If you are tired of your heavy XR650, want to dual sport a bit more than your EXC200 can handle, or just like to own quality...consider the Husky. After taking a close look at it, comparing the bike to the EXC450/525, WR450, and the 450X...you will see its both the best value, and the best bike in the class.

Great testimonial. I find myself more and more interested in the Husky the more I hear about it. All these bikes have been up for consideration personally but it seems when you want big bore performance and relatively light weight, value, quality, versatility, durability and relative ease of maintenance... the list seems to shorten dramatically! Like others I'm hoping the dealer situation improves, but they sound interesting.

Most importantly.....how does the electric start work?

Dave

Most importantly.....how does the electric start work?

Dave

2200 miles of worry free button pushing for me. Have not kicked it once.