Sign in to follow this  

CRF450x vs XR400 ??

Hi to all thumpsters....newbie here

i ride an 1997 XR400 and am looking to upgrade to the CRF450x

i love all features about the CRF450 but my only concern is how will the top end will hold out on compared to the XR400?

I ride mainly tight fire trails (2nd & 3rd gear) but I often ride hard fast dirt roads at over 70mph to get home quickly at the end of the day!...this is where the XR excels !

i understand the maintenance on the CRF is more important than the XR but due to the benefits of the CRF engine i dont mind that.

Any advice would be much appreciated...and if you have a CRF450 ....please let me know what you think !!!

cheers

TS

I have a crf 250 x and a 450 r. The 250 x goes faster than a xr 600 on the open road, and the 450 engine will blow your mind. I wouldn't hesitate to get the 450 x. It's only downside is weighing in over 255 lbs dry.

thanks for your reply opants

my XR400 is around 280-290 so 255 is fine by me !

I came off a 440'd 1997 XR.

The CRF is NO comparison.....it is 10x better for me!

I think you'll enjoy having a bike with suspension and handling in a lighter, faster package.

Get one!!

The CRF is NO comparison.....it is 10x better for me!

I think you'll enjoy having a bike with suspension and handling in a lighter, faster package.

Get one!!

thanks for that comments 4sr.....its mainly the weight loss that i am looking forward to.....also does the engine have much more "pull" than the ol' XR400 :) ??

Opants you must have had a messed up XR 600 if your 250x is faster on the open road. An un corked XR 600 meaning one with out the pee shooter stock muffler will beat a 250X no problem on an open road if by that you mean a straight away. Now the 450x would beat the XR 600 no problem. You can make a stock XR 600 pretty fast with just a simple aftermarket pipe and some jetting but the frame, suspension and brakes will never be in the same league as newer bikes.