Sign in to follow this  

Boot size and fit..

Ok.. I have been riding and racing for a few years now.. but I guess this question really never came up..

I was watching SX today.. and heard the guy talking about how Milsaps has a size 13 foot.. but squeeezes it into an 11 boot... to be tight..

Why is that?

Seems like my boot are always big.. should I be buying smaller???? :)

I dont know if this is correct, but this is my theory... I think that Milsaps wears an 11 when he would normally wear a 13 is because it is easier to move around on the bike and control the bike in the smaller boots then in the bigger ones. It is probably alot easier to shift and brake being that they are alot less bulky. One time I tried size 13 boots and then put my 11's back on and I know one thing, and that is its a hell of alot easier to ride in smaller boots than it is bigger ones (for me anyway).... Like I said, this is only my opinion

Pete :)

Seems kinda stupid,I would think your foot could get hurt easier being packed in the boot,No room for any compression :):)

I like toe room JMO :p

Your boots should be snug, but not restrict circulation. If your foot or ankle moves around in the boot, then the boot is too big.

My shoe size normally varies between 11.5 and 12, so I ordered size 12 boots. I couldn't straighten out my toes....they were all scrunched up. That would get very uncomfortable after about 10 minutes. I finally ordered 13 and they fit fine. They are a little loose around the ankle (I've got skinny feet), but thick socks make up for that.

I've found over the years that sizes vary greatly from one manufacturer to another. Some fit great if you order your shoe size and others need a size larger to fit. If at all possible, try on a pair of boots before you buy them.

One thing I've noticed about the modern leather&plastic boots is that they have a lot more room on the vertical plane. No idea why....that seems to take away feel for the shifter.

Cheers,

Mac