Sign in to follow this  

Reassemble Shock help

I need a little help getting my shock back together. (KLX400R)

My brother helped me take it apart to change the oil, everything went fine. He has done it before with his shock (WR450) but this one was slightly different. we now have it upside down in a vice, added oil, put the bladder back in and charged it. With his he said that he simply pushed down quickly on the piston to expell the air then pulled back up on it and the oil was sucked back down. when we do that we get a suction which makes it almost impossible to pull it back up. What are we doing wrong???

The rebound needle sounds like it is in the closed or almost all the way closed position. If the needle is closed, this blocks the rebound circuit which flows oil in both the compression and rebound direction.

Remove the shaft assembly from the shock body and back the rebound adjuster all the way out (fast). Then you have to physically move the needle to the open position by a shot of compressed air through the end of the shock shaft or by carefully pushing the rebound needle open with a small diameter tool.

Avoid this issue in the future by backing the rebound adjuster full and cycling the shock through a complete range of motion out BEFORE dumping the nitrogen pressure. The internal pressure will move the needle.

Take Care, Jonh