Sign in to follow this  

air filter backfire screen

boy am i glad this sight is up and running again. thought i was gonna have to commit suicide. any way, what are the drawbacks when removing the backfire screen on the air filter cage? it looks like to me that it would restrict the air flow alot. more air more power.

buy the way this is on a 02 250f

03cam azonic renthal dunlop wiseco

Made a difference on mine.But make sure you get the twin air flame retardant filter also the filter cage from the yz 250 or 125 works and saves you paying big money for the cage twin air sells and the aggravation of trying to get the screen off the stock one Rick

Made a difference on mine.But make sure you get the twin air flame retardant filter also the filter cage from the yz 250 or 125 works and saves you paying big money for the cage twin air sells and the aggravation of trying to get the screen off the stock one Rick

ya it is a pain getting the screen off but if you cant get hold of a flame retardant filter you dont really need one because the chances of it backfiring in the air box are not very high but if u havnt already bought a air filter go for it

:) i actually used a heat gun to remove my screen..it took about 95% of it off..the screen(majority) is actually just glued on..only near the center :did i actually have to do any cutting :)

thanks guys. i used the heat gun method and it worked fine. just becareful of the alignment tab that sticks out. they aren't very tough.

There's actually a fair degree of debate over whether there's a benefit to removing the screen or not. There are certainly a number of people who claim to be able to tell the difference in performance by doing so, and yet my own rather crude "flow tests" indicate that the filter assembly is no more restrictive with the screen than without it, and that the screen is less restrictive than the filter element. I find it interesting that people such as Doug Henry's crew have done actual flow tests on the assembly and found that removing the screen did nothing of value for a Super Moto 450.

But, you can if you want. Just be sure to do 2 things:

If you remove the screen from your stock cage, do so thoroughly, or use a YZ250R cage instead. Do not leave any stray bits of wire to fall through your engine.

Second, use a flame retardant filter, don't wash it in gasoline, and use a real air filter oil. The chance of backfiring through the intake is indeed low, but any four stroke is capable of belching up a melon-sized fireball without straining itself. Although the chance of starting a significant fire this way is pretty small, it is possible to burn a hole through the filter element without your being aware of it, and you know what that could lead to, don't you?

I couldnt tell much of anything with the 450, it's slow revving beast to begin with, but with the 250's it was definitely easy to tell.

I have been washing my twinair's for over a year now in gas with no noticable effect to them.

I couldnt tell much of anything with the 450, it's slow revving beast to begin with, but with the 250's it was definitely easy to tell.

I have been washing my twinair's for over a year now in gas with no noticable effect to them.

My 450 is an '03. "Slow revving beast" would not be anyone's description of it.

The reason I mentioned gasoline is that fuel residue in the filter element can help sustain a fire long enough to be dangerous. It won't happen for certain, just a possibility. Anything attached to the intake should be able to tolerate contact with gas, as far as that goes.

My 450 is an '03. "Slow revving beast" would not be anyone's description of it.

You obviously havent ridden an 05 then. Be happy yours is one that hasnt it's balls clipped. :)

I wasnt critical of your post just throwin in what I have seen with mine.