Sign in to follow this  

Hard Starting XR200R

I hope this is in the right forum, but I could not find a better one for my question. Can someone please help me. I got the bike last summer and only got it to run twice. The bike is a 1986 XR200R. The plug is new and the air filter was deteriorated so I replaced that. I'm not very good with mechanic work, but I can follow directions. It is getting spark, but I'm not sure what steps I should take to get it running. If I remember right, last season, when I did get it running, I beleive I had to put a couple of drops of fuel into the plug hole and then I had to leave the choke half on to keep it running (however the new air filter just went in recently, if that would affect the choke that much). I could not let off the fuel or let it idle or it would stall and would not start again. I would like to get the bike to the point where I can ride it without worrying about being stranded in the woods. I would also like to install electric start if thats feasible. Please help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sounds like it just needs a carb clean. The jets in the carb are clogged. If you are not comfortable doing it yourself, take it to a shop to have it done. But all you need to do is pull off the carb, remove the float bowl (the bottom of the carb, held on by four screws usually), and remove the jets. Should only have two. One really small, the other bigger. Remove those and you should be able to see thru them. If not, clean em out, put everything back together and you should be set. Wouldnt hurt to spray everything off with carb cleaner before you reassemble. Good luck.

just like LaneMM said, my wife's bike had the same problem , nothing a can of carb cleaner cannot solve!, the pilot jet itself usually gets the little holes in the actual jet plugged up , its pretty basic , just try and keep the carb cleaner away from the neoprene gaskets , carb cleaner tends to swell these parts.

stu