ttr 230 starter button and jetting questions

A fellow rider was riding this weekend with me and he dropped his ttr 230 and when he picked it up some how the starter button was gone. We had to find a small stick to push to get it started. Anyone else have this happen? If so anyone find an easy fix short of buying a whole new starter button and everything?

Also, his bike is hard to start esp when cold, anyone figured out if the jetting on these stock needs to be changed and what too?

Thanks.

Chris

I have just over 20 hours on mine and I am very pleased. For the money you just cant beat it!! It has a good look and is easy to control. Im not a racer so it has plenty of speed for me........and it is about 23lbs lighter than the 225. Anyone the knocks it is obviously looking for something else or just trying to have the baddest bike on the block kinda thing. Making up for insecurities they have in their life.lololololol ?

Runs great, no problems I've found, no complaints at all, not even a complaint about the flamers who put the bike down.... ?

Anyone the knocks it is obviously looking for something else or just trying to have the baddest bike on the block kinda thing. Making up for insecurities they have in their life.lololololol

Can someone tell me how to richen one of these up? I just upgraded my daughter to one and the thing is lean, lean lean! The owner's manual isn't any help. Can anyone give a non-mechanical type some directions?

Thanks!

Haven't tried this yet ....

The Mods for my 230 were obtained by careful study and talking to my Yamaha mechanic. You can adapt some of the mods from the 125 forums like the Snorkel, screen behind the air filter, removal of the insert AFTER the spark arrester. The most important thing to do is drill out the California plug that covers the fuel screw. This plug is thick and hard to get out without drilling into the screw itself. If you drill with almost no pressure you can get through the plug with minnimal damage to the screw. From the Factory the screw is all the way in. Mine is now out six (6) full turns. I have changed the main jet to a 130 (stock is 125) because a 130 is the only thing available from Yamaha. No pilot jets are available yet.

You can use any momentary pushbutton you want to for a starter button that will fit on the bars.

All ttr230's are California models, they all have the same teikei carb. You must drill out the plug in front of the pilot screw to open the screw up.

It is closed from the factory and must be opened two to four turns to richen it up.

pilot jet is a #36 and main is #125. A #130 main is now avail from your Yamaha dealer, but no pilots yet.

I took both jets to the dealer and they said they have not seen jets like this since the early 70's.

Be careful drilling the plug, go to far and you will drill into the pilot screw and ruin it.

good luck. ?

• 6 months later...

Thanks everybody for the tips. After installing the FMF Powercore 4 on my TT-R 230, the bike had massive bottom end improvement, but tons of backfiring. I have read alot of reviews from so-called experts, about how the stock pipe gets the most midrange horsepower, and to leave it. Horsepucky!!! Just the pipe really wakes up the bike, even the top end is quieter. If i didnt have a loud pipe, the jackrabbits out here would get startled when i got near them, and cause me to crash. They are huge rabbits with foot long ears, and the size of a small dog. I finally got to drilling out the plug on the carb. Start with a small drill and go bigger, it will end up wrapping up on the drill bit. I had no damage. By the way it was NOT screwed all the way in, it was out about 3 turns. I put it now at six and try it. I live at 2500 ft, so i may have to adjust more. BTW, the stock pipe backfires too, its just 82 db so its not as noticeable as with a louder pipe. Now i need stiffer springs and handlebars, and hopefully wider foot pegs. After that, upgrade the header pipe.