Sign in to follow this  

Leaking front fork seal

My left fork seal is leaking bad, I was told they need replacing. I read the FAQ on replacing the fork seals, seemed difficult. The guy who does my suspension said that he would change both seals and the oil for $100, is it worth it?

I would give this a try before you go spend $100 dollars to go get your seal replaced. use a 35mm film negative (like they give you in the little packet when you get your pictures) to clean the dirt inside the leaking seal. You pull down the wiper seal and get to the inner oil seal. Then very carefully work the film up and into the oil seal. Some oil will come out but that is alright. Then just go all around the oil seal. If that didnt work your seal might be to warn out and you will have to replace them. Hope this helps you out. Steve.

Try what Dunlop said first, but if that doesnt work, just do them yourself. It really isn't too hard, and you will learn a lot in the process. It costs perhaps 15-20 dollars for the oil, 30 for the fork oil guage, and that really is about it. It is imperative to have both a torque wrench and some sort of manual though, but if you are at all mechanically inclined you can do it.

It didnt take me very long to do, perhaps a six-pack's worth of :) time?

I made a seal driver from a 1 1/2" PVC pipe connector. Sanded out the internal flange with a drum sander then split it competely down one side and partially down the other side. Open it up, slide on the fork tube, put a hose clamp aroung it, knock the seal in. Worked like a charm. I've had both right and left seals leak. When removed I couldn't find anything wrong with them so cleaned and reinstalled. Didn't leak. Learned about the 35mm film trick afterward. Waiting for a seal to leak again to give it a try.

I had both seals leaking bad on my o5 wr250f. Only had two rides on it. My buddy smitty's 05 wr450f also was leaking after a few rides. In defense, I would say both rides we went on were some of the nastiest stuff I've been in. Anyway, smitty showed me a trick using new business cards. Use a screw driver to pry down the fork wiper, take a new business card and wrap it tight agaisnt the shock body holding it at a 45 degree angle so a corner of the card is facing up into the seal. Just work it up under the seal and spin it around. Probably will need to do this a few times to get rid of all that grit. Clean out the inside of the shock wipers and put some waterproof grease on the inside of the wiper and push back into place. :)

I have tried cleaning them out with my tear offs several times but noticed after practice lasts Sunday when I got home there was alot of oil under each fork on the trailor. I'm going to attempt to change them myself, thanks guys.

I have tried cleaning them out with my tear offs several times but noticed after practice lasts Sunday when I got home there was alot of oil under each fork on the trailor. I'm going to attempt to change them myself, thanks for the advice.

Make sure you grease the dust seal good when you reassemble. I almost never have to replace seals when I keep them greased well. Every time we would go riding it seems one of my buddies had leaky fork seals. After I showed them how to properly maintenance and grease they have many less problems.

For those that clean out the seals and oilk continues to leak, think about this. Dd you clean the Wiper as well? The dirt could still be in the wiper too, and circulate through the grease to your oilk seal which makes it leak again.

A q-tip and brake cleaner does the trick. Then running a paper towel in between the fork tube and the wiper, while turning the wiper. Then follow up agian with brake cleaner. Clean the oil seal w/brake cleaner and a negative. Put grease back in and your set.

I've had the problem before of my forks leaking after I cleaned them. Turns out there was still a little ammount of dirt still left in the wiper that was causing the problem.