Grip Goo

Well, sometimes you don't have to use grip glue. if the paint on your handlebars is clean, then that will make a vacuum-like seal between the grip and the bars. it's a pain getting them on, but you'll get it eventually, just fold and unfold the grip while you push it on to the bars. you might have to use it on the throttle side if you have plastic throttle tube, but that's the only case where you might have to use it. most glue will crack over time, so i try to avoid it. hope that helps! ?

I've tried a bunch of different grip glues as well as things like 3M adhesive, spray paint, gas, etc.

By far the best thing I have ever used is a product called "Goop." There is "outdoor goop", "automotive goop" and "household goop." I think it is all the same product and can be found in the glue/adhesive section at Lowes/Home Depot. I've found that it needs to cure about 24 hours though, but once it's done, it's rock solid.

I've tried a bunch of different grip glues as well as things like 3M adhesive, spray paint, gas, etc.

By far the best thing I have ever used is a product called "Goop." There is "outdoor goop", "automotive goop" and "household goop." I think it is all the same product and can be found in the glue/adhesive section at Lowes/Home Depot. I've found that it needs to cure about 24 hours though, but once it's done, it's rock solid.

ditto to everything said above. GRIP GLUE SUCKS.

i use "Plumber's GOOP" and it just plain WORKS.

best of all, one tube does about 71 grips.

i gave up grip glue AND safety wire after using Plumber's GOOP.

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

Actually the best way is to first clean the bars, then using black electrical tape go over your bars 1-2 times the length of the grip, then puncture a very small hole in the end of your grip to release trapped air, then pour a small amount of gas (premium works best) inside your grip swishing it around and immediatly put it on your bars... This stays put till you tear the ends off or just want new grips... Has worked for me time and again....

• 1 month later...

Bump this thread to the top - I finally got around to mounting up a set of new grips on my 250. Whoa! This Plumbers Goop sure is grippy stuff! At one point I didn't have quite enough goop on the grip and bar and the grip slid half way on and the goop kind of set up. I had a hell of a time getting the grip off to try again! I got a tube at Canadian Tire for about $7 CAD. That was a fairly big tube too. Local bike shop wants $12 CAD for a micro tube of Renthal glue. With this and three loops of safety wire on each grip, I'm never losing a grip again. Plumbers Goop gets a thumbs up ?

Chris.

3m weatherstrip adhesive, either yellow or black. I found the yellow seems to work a little better though. Don't use the spray on style either, it has to be in the tube.

I used to agree, but the last two sets I put on with 3M weatherstrip adhesive came loose and im not sure why, prepped with brake clean, let dry, same as before but now its not working. ?