Sign in to follow this  

Best Year For The CRF450?

Hey guys I'm new here. I'm looking to buy a used or possibly even new CRF450 in the near future. Most of the riding I'll be doing will be in the desert. Something I have noticed is in So. Cal. a used one that is almost any year goes for $4,200 to $4,500 with basic mods. A new one can be had for $6,700. These bikes hold their value really well in Cali. Do you guys have any suggestions on what year used one to get? Anything I should look out for?

Since they came out in 02 they have gotten better each year, but with a few mods any year CRF450 is an awesome machine!

My 05 CRF 450 is so much better than my 02,it scares me ,if you don't stay ahead of it the 05 will hurt you.

My 05 CRF 450 is so much better than my 02,it scares me ,if you don't stay ahead of it the 05 will hurt you.

I've heard the 05's are faster but I'm new to riding dirt and sand so I'm not to worried about going fast. The bike is going to spend a lot of time on it's side so I don't know if I want learn on a brand spanking new bike.

Hey guys I'm new here. I'm looking to buy a used or possibly even new CRF450 in the near future. Most of the riding I'll be doing will be in the desert. Something I have noticed is in So. Cal. a used one that is almost any year goes for $4,200 to $4,500 with basic mods. A new one can be had for $6,700. These bikes hold their value really well in Cali. Do you guys have any suggestions on what year used one to get? Anything I should look out for?

The best year is 2002 with a couple mods (2003+ linkage, 03+ air box, 02 cam is the best for desert). The reason I say 2002 is the best year? Because 2002 is the only year GREEN stickered in California! :)

I just looked at a clean 02 for $4,000. The green sticker is a plus for sure in Cali. I might go grab that bike tomorrow then it's off to Ocotillo for the learning experience.

I really like the way you put it.... :):)

I'm an ebay junkie. You can buy an '02 CRF450 on ebay for around $3000 + freight if you are patient. With some mods they will be over the $3500 range. I just bought one for $2750 + frt. This way you may have a little left over cash to modify it the way you like.

I have an 04 and came from a 93 cr250. The 04 is amazing, but then I rode a friends 05. From the first turn, I felt at home, the 05 is the best thing on the planet even with suspention set up for a rider 60 lbs less then me. Also if you're new to dirt riding, you may want to try a more tame machine first. These bikes know when an inexperienced jockey is onboard and will make you look bad first chance they get!!!

If you haven't bought a CRF450 yet, I have a 2003 ready to go for 4,800 with extra parts. It already has some scratches on it, so you don't have to worry about scratching it up yourself. I'm still waiting for the rear fender which should be coming in later this week. The extra parts I have are a 3.2 gallon tank, new front fender, original gas tank, replacement left case cover, E line case protector. Tell me what you think? If you want I can send you a picture upon request? Oh, and a replacement seat cover if you don't like the current one.

O% for sure, dont let anyone tell you differant, and about putting it on its side, then get new plastics. If 02 was the best, then why did they change?????????/ :)

05 450f best nike made....nuf said. :)

05 is the best year. :)

I would have to pipe up on that too....all year models have a great engine, but the new chassis is really sweet. Now if I could stuff that 450F engine into my 250F frame.... :)

Last night I picked up a really clean 02 CRF450. The price was right (for so cal.) and I really wanted a green sticker bike because I want to ride a lot during the summer. I've been cruising the streets around here on it and I can't wait to get it out to Ocotillo. Learning is the fun part right?