Sign in to follow this  

CRF230 in sand/dunes

I live near Coos Bay Oregon, and we have some great dunes out here.

The other day me and one of my friends took my 230 out to them to see how it would do in the sand. It was pouring rain, but there were tons of guys out there riding anyway... I figured the rain was good because it would firm up the sand. I never actually went to the dunes, i just played around on the sand trails and on the beach.

Does my bike have enough power to run on the dunes, or will i burn it up? I am using the stock tire.

Also, when we tied it down in the truck, we had the front forks compressed most of the way. Is it ok to leave it in there like that or is it hard on the shocks?

yea, it'll do fine, mine did fine altho it did get a lil hot. :) just keep windflow over it. the shocks are okay like that for nomore than a couple days.

Also, when we tied it down in the truck, we had the front forks compressed most of the way. Is it ok to leave it in there like that or is it hard on the shocks?

You should look into getting a fork support. Check ebay or your local shops. Sometimes called "Bike Bone" or "Shock Saver", it fits between your tire and the underside of your fender between the forks.

Dude, i suck at riding on the sand. Bad. I can barely keep my bike strait on the BEACH!

And dad wont let me actually go on the dunes, just the beach and trails, but thats ok with me, i probably couldn't climb those things without a paddle tire. Dunes are VERY dangerous because of the other people. He has seen too many kids get killed cuz some guy comes flying over the top and lands on them.

But yeah, i need someone to ride with, none of my friends have bikes. Like i said, i suck at riding. I still had a BLAST though!

Joelacrane like ya said, just as long as ya hav fun!!!!!!! :)

and yes, dunes are dangerous due to stupid people who think their the only freak'n ppl out there!!!!! :)

and remember, practice makes perfect....

p.s. no one i could find makes a 100/100-18 rear paddle tire.

Right on, there cheap too!!!! Thats what I'm gonna have to get next!!!

hey man..one time this dude was riding a three wheeler on the dunes adn he climbs up on a big dune on the thing and falls about 50 feet down cause they had pulled sand from it and put it in the ocean from erroding prob. and the things front wheel bent back so far it was touching the engine...but thats because we have bad eriosion prob. but hey man..tear it up..i donno but you might want to consider the stuff that cools down your oil if its realy hot..but hell u should be fine

Well we went out again the other day... and this time the sand was completely dry and i went inland a little bit to play on the smaller dunes and trails. It was great! I could only get up into 5th before it would bog down, so i mainly stayed in 4th.

how do you tell when you are getting it too hot? is there some sort of water-drop-on-the-head trick or something i can use?

Well we went out again the other day... and this time the sand was completely dry and i went inland a little bit to play on the smaller dunes and trails. It was great! I could only get up into 5th before it would bog down, so i mainly stayed in 4th.

how do you tell when you are getting it too hot? is there some sort of water-drop-on-the-head trick or something i can use?

no, you can tell if you have a sudden loss of power, "smeels" hot. you'll know it when ya smell it. Or if it suddenly bogs. When that does happen, just pull over in a safe place, kill it and wait a couple min. 1-2 should do, and this time try to get some wind flow over it. (like u were doing.....keeping it in 4th)