Sign in to follow this  

Best family ride in San Rafael

Our family will be riding around White Wash/Tenmile Wash and the San Rafael Swell over spring break.

I was wondering if anyone has any favorite rides my family could try in the San Rafael area. We will have both ATVs and bikes, with my youngest riding an xr70. My family can usually handle about 35 mile rides.

We have done Black Dragon Wash a number of times, and really enjoy it, but we would like to try something new. We have also ridden the Wickiup loop and in towards Fix-It Pass, but we have only gone as far as the wilderness boundary.

We have also explored the area around Copper Globe Mine. I have taken my older kids on the Eagle Canyon/Devil's Racetrack loop, but that is too long for my whole family.

Are there any good rides further north - such as up around the Wedge overlook or San Rafael bridge? Or anywhere else in the general area?

If you're looking for a family ride, (and you had a quad, right?) I'd recommend Behind the Reef. There are a couple of semi-technical parts but nothing really bad. Beautiful scenery to be had. The only real downside is that it's and out-and-back type of ride.

Merf

Can you give me more details about the Behind the Reef ride?

I was in that area several years ago. As I recall, the road on the north side of the reef is a very nice dirt road (suitable for cars) until you get to the top of Chute Canyon. Is this the ride you are referring to?

Just west of Chute it seems there was a really gnarly section that might be tough to get the quads through. Beyond that, it was a typical jeep road. Is that gnarly section easier than it used to be? Could we get quads and an xr70 through?

How far west can you go?

When I was there, we went a ways past Bell Canyon and then headed north on a really hard to follow jeep trail that eventually tied in to the main dirt road in East McKay Flat, which made a really long loop. Unfortunately, most of it was just easy dirt/gravel road, which doesn't appeal to me much.

Are there any good spur trails in that same area? I don't mind doing an out-and-back if there are some interesting sights along the way.

I'll have to pull my maps out and check numbers and directions, but we rode the BtR trail down to the road that connects to the river. A buddy did it last year with his kids and wife (TTR90, XR200 and XR70) and aside from the initial climb from the road (again, I'll have to check the maps) didn't have any problems. Most of the trail is quad wide and is jeep wide in some places.

Go here:

http://www.ut.blm.gov/sanrafaelohv/map1.pdf

Find the Temple Mountain area and look for the purple trace for Behind the Reef Road.

To answer your questions, yea, that sounds like the ride I was talking about. You can follow the trail all the way to the same road McKay flats is on, but a little closer to the Muddy where the WSA takes over and you start back.

Most of the spur trails I know about are unsuitable for XR70's or quads, sorry.

Merf